Blue in the Face
|Blue in the Face|
Promotional movie poster
|Directed by||Paul Auster |
|Written by||Paul Auster|
|Music by||John Lurie|
|Cinematography||Adam Holender |
|Edited by||Maysie Hoy |
|Distributed by||Miramax Films|
|October 13, 1995|
Blue in the Face is a 1995 American comedy film directed by Wayne Wang and Paul Auster. It stars Harvey Keitel, Victor Argo, Giancarlo Esposito, Roseanne Barr, Michael J. Fox, Lily Tomlin, Mira Sorvino, Lou Reed, Mel Gorham, Jim Jarmusch and Malik Yoba.
Blue in the Face was filmed over a five-day period as a follow-up to Wang's 1995 movie Smoke. During production of Smoke, Keitel and the others ad-libbed scenes in-character between takes and a sequel was made using this improvised material.
Lily Tomlin was nominated for an American Comedy Award as "Funniest Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture" for her performance in this picture.
The film once again centers on the Brooklyn Cigar Store and manager Auggie (Harvey Keitel), although most of the other characters are different. The store owner's frustrated wife Dot (Roseanne) is one of them, and one of the plotlines follows her attempts to seduce Auggie. Madonna, Michael J. Fox, Lily Tomlin, and Lou Reed (as himself) also put in appearances. Blue In The Face was shot without a complete script and presents a unique combination of distinctive performances, oddball characters, improvisations, and raffish scenes.
- Selena... Sound Track
- Harvey Keitel... Augustus "Auggie" Wren
- Victor Argo... Vinnie
- Keith David... Jackie Robinson
- Giancarlo Esposito... Tommy Finelli
- Michael J. Fox... Pete Maloney
- Mel Gorham... Violet
- Jared Harris... Jimmy Rose
- Jim Jarmusch... Bob
- Madonna... Singing Telegram Girl
- Lou Reed... As Himself
- Roseanne Barr... Dot
- Mira Sorvino... Young Lady
- Lily Tomlin... Waffle Eater
- Malik Yoba... Watch Man
- Rupaul... Dance Leader
- Thomas, Kevin (13 October 1995). "MOVIE REVIEW : Wang's 'Blue in the Face' a Valentine to Brooklyn". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- Maslin, Janet (13 October 1995). "Blue in the Face (1995) FILM REVIEW; In Hip Brooklyn, Take 2 On That Old Cigar Store". New York Times. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- Ebert, Roger (20 October 1995). "Blue In The Face". Chicago Sun Times. Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- Blue in the Face on IMDb
- Blue in the Face at AllMovie
- Blue in the Face at Box Office Mojo
- Blue in the Face at Rotten Tomatoes
- FilmCritic.com review
|This film article about a 1990s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|