|Place of origin||United States of America|
|Main ingredients||Blueberries, pie crust, sugar, cornstarch|
Blueberry pie is a pie with a blueberry filling. Blueberry pie is considered one of the easiest pies to make because it does not require pitting or peeling of fruit. It usually has a top and bottom crust. The top crust can be a circular crust but the pie can also have a crumble crust or no top crust at all. Blueberry pies are often eaten in the summertime because that is when blueberries are in season.
Blueberries, both wild ('lowbush') and cultivated ('highbush'), are native to North America. Blueberry pie was first eaten by early American settlers and later the food spread to the rest of the world. Similar desserts are prepared in Europe with bilberries. It remains a popular dessert in the United States and Canada. Blueberry pie made with wild Maine blueberries is the official state dessert of the U.S. state of Maine. Blueberry pie has been documented in the Appledore Cook Book in 1872.
A typical ingredient for blueberry pie are rinsed and stemmed blueberries. The berries can be frozen or fresh. Other ingredients include flour or instant tapioca, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, vanilla and butter. Recipes may vary ingredients.
Blueberry pie has several vitamins including vitamin A, Folate, vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin K. Blueberry pie also has a variety of minerals like calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sodium, and zinc.
Blueberry pie in a graham cracker crust
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blueberry pies.|
- Stewart, Martha (12 March 2015). "Blueberry Pie Recipes". Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- Vear, B. (2016). Ice Cream. Bloomsbury Publishing. p. 141. ISBN 978-1-4729-3318-8. Retrieved April 5, 2019.
- Associated Press (21 April 2011). "It's the law: Whoopie pie official 'treat'". Portland Press Herald. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- "Blueberry Pie". New England Recipes. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Nov. 2012.
- "Recipes". Bauer, Elise. "Blueberry Pie Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com." Simply Recipes. N.p., 14 July 2009. Web. 12 Mar. 2015.
- "Blueberry Pie". "Blueberry Pie." HealthGrove. FindTheBest.com. Jan. 2015. Web. 11 Mar. 2015.