|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Genres||Rock, indie rock|
|Labels||Nonzero Records (Australia)|
|Past members||Ben Fletcher
Formed in the mid 1990s, Bluebottle Kiss took its influences from the late 1980s American indie scene, which included artists such as Sonic Youth and the Afghan Whigs, singer-songwriters of the 1970s, such as Neil Young and Van Morrison, as well as the very creative Australian independent scene of the same period with artists such as The Church and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. The band signed to Murmur, an imprint of Sony Records. Initially, Bluebottle Kiss found only limited commercial success due to a challenging sound that ranged dissonant and rustic sounds to folk tinged, melancholy pop.
Although dropped from Murmur after the release of Somnambulist Homesick Blues in 1997, Bluebottle Kiss continued to make records on their own with various indie imprints. In 1998, Tap Dancing on the Titanic was issued on the now-dormant Troy Horse label. In 1999, Patient was released on Citadel Records, whose catalogue includes New Christs, Died Pretty, The Stems and more recently Knievel.
The band briefly moved to the USA after this before regrouping as revamped four piece in 2001.
In 2002, a long-time music fan, Nick Carr - inspired by labels such as Citadel - started his own label, Nonzero Records, in order to release Bluebottle Kiss' Revenge is Slow album. The album was also released in the US on the In Music We Trust label.
The relationship between Bluebottle Kiss and Nonzero Records has endured, with the band's sixth studio album - the 2 CD Doubt Seeds - being their third album, among numerous singles and EPs, on the label. Doubt Seeds was produced by Jamie Hutchings at Linear Recording studio in Sydney.
- Higher Up the Firetrails (1995)
- Fear of Girls (1996)
- Patient (1999)
- Revenge Is Slow (2002)
- Come Across (2003)
- Doubt Seeds (2006)
- Double Yellow Tarred (1995)
- Somnambulist Homesick Blues (1997)
- Tap Dancing on the Titanic (1998)
- Girl Genius (1999)
- Gangsterland (2001)
- Last Playboy in Town (2004)
- A Little Bit of Light (2005)
- The Women Are an Army (2006)
- Slight Return + Out Seeds (2007)
- "Rust and the Time" (1996)
- "Autumn Comes Too Soon" (1996)
- "Helping You Hate Me" (1996)
- "Return to the City of Folded Arms" (1999)
- "Ounce of Your Cruelty" (2001)
- "Father's Hands" (2002)
- "Everything Begins and Ends at Exactly the Right Time" (2003)
- Sonic Elevator Music for the Masses (1994)
- Australian Music Online :: Labels :: Troy Horse/MDS Archived 10 September 2006 at the Wayback Machine.
- Australian Music Online :: Labels :: Citadel Records Archived 9 September 2006 at the Wayback Machine.
- Australian Music Online :: Interviews :: Nick Carr - Nonzero Records
- In Music We Trust Records