This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||Reading, Berkshire, England|
|Associated acts||Another Sunny Day, Arabesque, Lovejoy, Beaumont|
|Past members||Keith Girdler (deceased)|
Blueboy were an indie pop band formed in Reading, Berkshire who were signed to Sarah Records and later Shinkansen Recordings. Core members Keith Girdler and Paul Stewart also recorded as Arabesque and Beaumont.
Blueboy formed around 1989 and initially consisted of Keith Girdler (on vocals) and Paul Stewart (on guitars), formerly of little-known band Feverfew. They soon signed to Sarah Records, releasing the home-recorded single "Clearer" in 1991, and took on more members, including singer/cellist Gemma Townley and second guitarist Harvey Williams (of The Field Mice/Another Sunny Day). "Clearer" was followed by several singles and two albums on Sarah, If Wishes Were Horses and Unisex. In October 1994, Blueboy recorded a session for John Peel's BBC Radio 1 show. Their final release, The Bank of England, was released in 1998 on Sarah head Matt Haynes' new label, Shinkansen Recordings. By then, Girdler and Stewart were the only original members of the band. Girdler and Stewart were also involved in two other bands, Arabesque and Beaumont, and Girdler also recorded with Lovejoy. Townley later joined Trembling Blue Stars, as did Williams.
In 2008, Siesta Records issued a compilation album called Country Music (Songs for Keith Girdler). The compilation was put together by Richard Preece (of Lovejoy) to raise money for the Martletts Hospice in Hove who cared for Girdler.
|1992||If Wishes Were Horses||Sarah Records|
|1998||The Bank of England||Shinkansen Recordings|
- "Clearer" (1991), Sarah
- "Popkiss" (1992), Sarah
- "Cloud Babies" (1993), Sarah - flexi-disc
- "Meet Johnny Rave" (1993), Sarah
- Some Gorgeous Accident EP (1993), Sarah
- "River" (1994), Sarah
- Bikini EP (1995), Aquavinyle
- "Dirty Mags" (1995), Sarah
- "Love Yourself" (1996), Shinkansen
- Marco Polo EP (1998), Shinkansen
- Speedboat (1993 - Quattro Records)
- Roma EP EP (1995), Siesta
- The Grooming Gambit EP (1997), Siesta
- This Is... (2000), Siesta
- Discotheque a la Carte (2001), Siesta
- Tiara (2003), Siesta
- No Time Like The Past (2005), Siesta
Compilation album appearances
- Grimsby Fishmarket 4 Norrkoeping 0, featured "Chelsea Guitar"
- In This Place Called Nowhere (1992) Quattro, featured "Clearer"
- Sound of Music - An Anti-Racist Benefit (1993) Bring on Bull, featured "My Favourite Things"
- La Rue du Chat Qui Pêche (1993) Sarah/Quattro, featured "Elle" and "Air France"
- Gaol Ferry Bridge (1994) Sarah, featured "Try Happiness" and "Air France"
- Engine Common (1995) Sarah, featured "Clearer" and "Popkiss"
- Battery Point (1995) Sarah, featured "Dirty Mags", "River", and "Toulouse"
- There and Back Again Lane (1995) Sarah, featured "The Joy of Living"
- PREGO! The Menu of Trattoria (1995) Trattoria, featured "My Favourite Things"
- Country Music: Songs for Keith Girdler (2008) Siesta, featured "80's Diaries"
- Ankeny, Jason "Blueboy Biography", allmusic.com, Macrovision Corporation
- Strong, Martin C. (2003) The Great Indie Discography, Canongate, ISBN 1-84195-335-0, p. 633-4
- Details of Blueboy's Peel session from the BBC's Keeping It Peel site
- Blueboy on Discogs.com
- Arabesque on Discogs.com
- Beaumont on Discogs.com