This article is missing information about Ownership.March 2019)(
|Original author(s)||Geng Le|
2.8.16 / March 14, 2019
|Operating system||iOS and Android|
|Available in||English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese|
Blued is currently the largest gay social network app in the world. Launched in 2012, the free app now counts 40 million users with the majority still in its country of origin, China. The application is available on Android and iOS. Its features include verified profiles, live broadcasting, a timeline, and group conversations. The app is currently valued at $600 million.
For 12 years, Geng Le (aka Ma Baoli), a married police officer in northern China, secretly ran Danlan.org, a website for gay people. In 2012, when his superiors discovered the website, Geng Le lost his family and job. Committed to the legitimisation of same-sex relationships in China, he created Blued, the first gay social network app.
Today, Blued employs over 200 staff at its headquarters in Beijing, China, and has recently opened new offices in London, UK to overview the rapid expansion of the app overseas. In 4 years only, Blued has become the largest gay social network in the world with over 27 million registered users.
Commenting on the global partnership between Blued and Hornet, Hornet president Sean Howell declared: “Gay apps have evolved over the past few years to more fully engage users, who demand a richer, mobile experience”.
- Live – Blued gives its users the ability to broadcast video within a community of peers. The live streams are also monitored. There is also the option of private live broadcasting.
- Feed – Users can scroll through an endless stream of photos or videos posted by men they have chosen to follow.
- Grid – A grid displays nearby profiles by distance, where one can either follow those profiles or engage in one-to-one conversations. Filters are available to users to ensure a more appealing selection of profiles.
- Groups – Group conversations are available for users to join depending on their interests or location.
- Beans – Beans is the cryptocurrency of Blued, which can be used to access live broadcasting or transferred to a bank account.
- Account creation – Blued accounts can be made with Twitter, Facebook, Google, a mobile number, a Blued id or email account. Instagram posts can also be synced with Blued.
- "Social app Blued's beta version has reached the UK". December 21, 2016. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- "Blued - Official Website (EN)".
- Hernández, J.C. (December 16, 2016). "Building a Community, and an Empire, With a Gay Dating App in China". New York Times. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- "Blued - Official Website (CN)". Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- McCormick, Joseph Patrick (December 18, 2016). "Gay dating apps Hornet and Blued enter global partnership". Retrieved December 22, 2016 – via pinknews.co.uk.
- "Hornet and Blued, Enter Into First Global Cooperation". December 16, 2016. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- "Blued – Gay Social, Live Broadcasting,Gay Community". iTunes Store.
|This mobile software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|