The "world's first community-owned tidal power generator" became operational in Bluemull Sound in April 2014. The turbine is a 30 kW Nova Innovation device, owned by the North Yell Development Council  and is connected to the local grid by 1 km subsea cable; helping power an ice house and up to 30 local homes. A 100kW tidal turbine was connected in August 2016.
- North Yell Development Council - www.northyell.co.uk/tide.php
- "World first for Shetlands in tidal power breakthrough". the Guardian. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- John Chandler (1809). The New Seaman's Guide, and Coaster's Companion: Containing, in Part I. Complete Sailing Directions ... Through the River Thames ... Part II. For the Northern Navigation ... Part III. A New and Accurate Table of Magnetic Bearings ... To which are Subjoined Copious Tables of Latitudes and Longitudes ... Also New Tables of the Sun's Declination, from 1809 to 1824. P. Mason. pp. 274–.
- The Quarterly journal of science, literature and art. 1822. pp. 212–.
- Zoologist: A Monthly Journal of Natural History. J. Van Voorst. 1865-01-01.
|This Shetland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|