Bluer Than Blue
|"Bluer Than Blue"|
|Single by Michael Johnson|
|from the album The Michael Johnson Album|
|B-side||"Two in Love"|
|Michael Johnson singles chronology|
"Bluer Than Blue" is the title of a 1978 song recorded by Michael Johnson. The song was written by noted pop and country songwriter Randy Goodrum. Originally recorded as a demo, "Bluer Than Blue" was taken as the first single from Johnson's subsequent LP, The Michael Johnson Album. The song is from the point of view of a man who is in a failing relationship, and is trying to convince himself his situation will improve once the one he loved moves on; however, it is evident by the lyrics to the song his efforts are thus far ineffective.
The song became the singer's first Top 40 hit, reaching #12 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in summer 1978. It also reached #10 on the Cash Box chart. It proved even more popular with adult contemporary radio stations, spending three weeks at #1 on the Easy Listening chart that same year. To date, this is Johnson's highest-charting single on Pop or Adult Contemporary charts. The song has become a well-known American 1970s soft rock single that continues to be played on radio stations.
The single received generally favourable reviews at the time of its release. Cashbox Magazine described Johnson's work as "full of touching ballads with all the right production touches, subtle instrumentation and poignant vocals necessary to keep the tenderness from becoming insipid." In 1978, Johnson was quoted as saying, "I knew it was potentially a successful song but I didn't think it would go this far. It seemed, well, too mature. The experience of being married or living with someone is hard to identify with for younger people."
- Filipina singer Regine Velasquez recorded the song and was later included in her 1996 covers album Retro.
- In 1996, Barry Manilow covered the song on his album Summer of '78.
- Singapore-born Anita Sarawak also recorded this song in her album in 1979.
- Joel Palencia covered the song in early 2015.
Weekly singles charts
- Joel Whitburn (1996). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits (6th ed.). Billboard Publications. ISBN 978-0823076321.
- "Michael Johnson - The Michael Johnson Album Reviews". Mjblue.com. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- The Star-Phoenix (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan), Los Angeles (AP), Pop star treatment stuns singer, July 7, 1978, p.21.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2017-07-27.
- [dead link]
- "Top 100 Hits of 1978/Top 100 Songs of 1978". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-13.