Bluff Island (Andaman and Nicobar Islands)
|Location||Bay of Bengal|
|Adjacent bodies of water||Indian Ocean|
|Area||0.21 km2 (0.081 sq mi)|
|Length||0.8 km (0.5 mi)|
|Width||0.4 km (0.25 mi)|
|Coastline||2.27 km (1.411 mi)|
|District||North and Middle Andaman|
|Island group||Andaman Islands|
|Island sub-group||West Baratang Group|
|Telephone code||031927 |
|Avg. summer temperature||30.2 °C (86.4 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||23.0 °C (73.4 °F)|
|Official Languages||Hindi, English|
Bluff Island is an island of the Andaman Islands. It belongs to the North and Middle Andaman administrative district, part of the Indian union territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The island lies 64 km (40 mi) north from Port Blair.
The island belongs to the West Baratang Group and lies south of Spike Island. The island is separated from South Andaman to the south by narrow channel, 500 m wide. It is 30 metres high to the tops of the trees.
The island was previously inhabited. In 1949, the few surviving Great Andamanese people were relocated to this island to protect them from diseases and other threats. On this island their population reached the all-time low of 19 individuals in 1961. In 1969 they were relocated to the slightly larger Strait Island.
- "Islandwise Area and Population - 2011 Census" (PDF). Government of Andaman.
- "A&N Islands - Pincodes". 22 September 2016. Archived from the original on 23 March 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2016.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "STD Codes of Andaman and Nicobar". allcodesindia.in. Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- Registration Plate Numbers added to ISO Code
- "Village Code Directory: Andaman & Nicobar Islands" (PDF). Census of India. Retrieved 16 January 2011.
- Sailing Directions (Enroute), Pub. 173: India and the Bay of Bengal (PDF). Sailing Directions. United States National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. 2017. p. 276.
- "DEMOGRAPHIC – A&N ISLANDS" (PDF). andssw1.and.nic.in. Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- Rann Singh Mann (2005), Andaman and Nicobar Tribes Restudied: Encounters and Concerns, page 149. Mittal Publications. ISBN 81-8324-010-0
- Wildlife Institute of India (2000), Andaman and Nicobar Islands Archived 25 August 2003 at Archive.today section of Directory of Wildlife Protected Areas in India[permanent dead link]. Accessed on 2012-07-12.
|This Andaman and Nicobar Islands location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|