Bo City Council
|Bo City Council (BCC)|
New session started
Mayor of Bo
Deputy Mayor of Bo
Chairman of the Bo City Council
Chief Administrator of the Bo City Council
Length of term
|Authority||Local Government Act, 2004 |
|November 17, 2012|
|Bo City Council Hall
Bo, Sierra Leone
Bo City Council is the municipal government of the city of Bo, Sierra Leone's second largest city. The Council is responsible for the general management of the city. The Bo City Council was reestablished in 2004 by the Sierra Leone Parliament under the Sierra Leone Local Government Act The Bo City Council meet at the Bo City Council Hall on Coronation Field Road in Bo, Sierra Leone.
Members of the Bo City Council are directly elected every four years by the residents of Bo and they represent different wards throughout the city. Members of the Bo city Council are known as councillors, except the deputy mayor and the Mayor, in whom local executive power is granted within the city of Bo. The current mayor of Bo is Harold Logie Tucker of the Sierra Leone People's Party who was elected with over 69.07% of the vote in the November 2012 Local Council elections.
All officials appointed by the mayor must be approved by the Bo City Council before taking office. Like the rest of the Southern Part of Sierra Leone, Bo city politics is dominated by the Sierra Leone People's Party (SLPP).
Bo City Council powers include, but not limited to:
- Collect local tax 
- Responsible for the cleaning the city and trash collection
- Control streets and petty trading
- Issue of business lincense to shop owners and petty traders
- Monitore Motorcycle and bike riders
- Maintain discipline in schools
- "Politico SL News » Sierra Leone's second city mayor arrested over "coup"". Politicosl.com. 2013-08-25. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Sierra Leone News: Bo Govt. Hospital Male Surgical Ward gets face lift « Awoko Newspaper". Awoko.org. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Sierra Leone city to subject schoolgirls to virginity tests: News". Africareview.com. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- Alpha, Problyn J. (2013-03-01). "Sierra Leone: Ban On Extra Curricula Activities in Bo". allAfrica.com. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "PUBLIC INVITATION: Sierra Leone News". News.sl. 2010-04-20. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Supplement to the Sierra Leone Gazette Extraordinary Vol. CXXXV, No. 14" (PDF). Sierra-leone.org. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Local Councils: A pivotal but disappointing role in Sierra Leone's socio-political and economic development debate - feature-stories". Sierraleone365.com. 2009-12-29. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "OSIWA". OSIWA. 2012-07-23. Archived from the original on 2013-11-14. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Women Councilors get Leadership capacitation in Bo - News in Sierra Leone". Mysierraleoneonline.com. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "SIERRA LEONE: Mayor of Bo quizzed on mutiny links". WADR. 2013-08-28. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- (PDF) https://swap.stanford.edu/20121208000239/http://www.nec-sierraleone.org/index_files/Mayor_Chairperson%20Result%202012.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 8, 2012. Retrieved November 14, 2013. Missing or empty
- "Bo City reach ambitious Property Tax Revenue target". Revenuedevelopment.org. 2010-09-20. Archived from the original on 2013-11-15. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Bo City Council Tops Tax Collection | Sierra Express Media". Sierraexpressmedia.com. 2009-09-08. Archived from the original on 2014-01-22. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Bo City Councils bans social activities in schools | Sierra Express Media". Sierraexpressmedia.com. 2013-02-16. Archived from the original on 2013-11-15. Retrieved 2013-11-15.