This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Alma mater||Florida State University|
|Doctoral advisor||Roy Baumeister|
Bo Winegard received his Ph.D. in Social Psychology from Florida State University in 2018 under the supervision of Professor Roy Baumeister. Winegard became an Assistant Professor of Psychology at Marietta College in 2018; he was fired in 2020.[non-primary source needed]
In late 2019, Winegard was invited to give a talk at the University of Alabama on “The Evolution of Human Diversity”. The talk, which addressed the possibility that human populations may have evolved different psychological tendencies, stirred a controversy at the University because of the perceived “racist implications” of the research.[unreliable source?] In early 2020, Winegard was fired from his position at Marietta College.
Christopher Ferguson of Areo contended that the talk explicitly denounced racism and urged people to treat others as individuals, not tokens of some group or another. Some sources suggested that Winegard may have been fired for his “risky research,” “wrongthink,”[unreliable source] “controversial race theories,” or heretical ideas. The notion that human populations could have evolved different psychological tendencies is controversial because it suggests that all races may not have identical group averages on all socially valued traits.
- https://quillette.com/author/bo-winegard/. Missing or empty
- Winegard, Bo. "I've Been Fired. If You Value Academic Freedom, That Should Worry You". Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- "ALLELE: "The Evolution of Human Diversity," Dr. Bo Winegard (Marietta College)".
- Kelly, Jeffrey. "Evolution Working Group on hosting Bo Winegard: 'It was our mistake'". Retrieved 7 November 2019.
- Ferguson, Christopher. "The Firing of Bo Winegard: When Academic Freedom and Outrage Collide". Retrieved 16 March 2020.
- Flaherty, Colleen. "Risky Research". Retrieved 12 March 2020.
- Emmons, Libby. "Professor fired from his tenure track job for wrongthink". Retrieved 9 March 2020.
- Vondracek, Christopher. "Professor with controversial race theories says college won't hire him back". Retrieved 13 March 2020.
- Dreher, Rod. "Hounding The Heretic Bo Winegard". Retrieved 7 March 2020.