||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|Labels||Thick Syrup Records|
Robert Bertelli, better known as Bob Bert, is an American rock drummer.
Based in Hoboken, New Jersey, Bert initially came to prominence as drummer for the experimental rock band Sonic Youth during the early to mid-1980s. Bert played on the Sonic Youth releases Confusion Is Sex, Sonic Death, and Bad Moon Rising. After Bad Moon Rising, Bert quit the group.
In the early 1990s, Bert drummed for the Chrome Cranks (which also included Peter Aaron on vocals; Jerry Teel on bass; and William Weber on stun guitar).
After the dissolution of the Cranks, Bert joined forces with guitarist Kid Congo, guitarist Jack Martin, bassist/vocalist Jerry Teel and organist Barry London in the rootsy New York City band Knoxville Girls.
Throughout, Bert managed to release a handful of recordings by his percussive/concussive vehicle Bewitched. Releases by Bewitched include the Chocolate Frenzy 12" EP; some albums, including Harshing My Mellow on No. 6 Records; and the "Hey White Homie" 7" on Sub Pop. Bewitched toured with S.Y. and STP (short-lived NYC all-female foxcore band which included PG guitarist Julie Cafritz) during the summer of 1990, the year Goo was released.
Bert played with "Five Dollar Priest" as well as with the International Shades, which features ex-Live Skull guitarist Mark C. and former Pier Platters shop assistant-turned-keyboardist Dorien Garry among others.
In 2011 Thick Syrup Records released the compilation cd Bewitched - Bob Bert Presents: The Worst Poetry Of 1986 - 1993, featuring all tracks Bob Bert recorded with Bewitched. The label also released the last album of the re-united Chrome Cranks featuring Bert on drums.
Bert is now playing with Retrovirus (Lydia Lunch, Weasel Walter, Tim Dahl), they released studio and live albums, and also with Wolfmanhattan Project with Kid Congo Powers (Gun Club, Cramps, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Knoxville Girls, Pink Monkey Birds) & Mick Collins (Gories, Dirtbombs)
With Sonic Youth
With Lee Ranaldo
- Chocolate Frenzy 12" EP
- Brain Eraser, No. 6 Records
- Harshing My Mellow, No. 6 Records
- Hey White Homie" 7" Sub Pop.
- Bewitched - Bob Bert Presents: The Worst Poetry Of 1986 - 1993 CD, Thick Syrup Records 2011
- Dead Cool, CD Crypt, 1995
- Love In Exile, CD PCP, 1996
- Oily Cranks, CD Atavistic Records, 1997
- Diabolical Boogie: Singles, Demos & Rarities (1992 B.C.- 1998 A.D.), CD Atavistic Records, 2006
- Ain't No Lies In Blood CD, Thick Syrup Records 2011
With Lydia Lunch
- Retrovirus, Recorded live at the Knitting Factory, Brooklin, NY, Nov 15, 2012 (CD / Widowspeak, 2013)
- Retrovirus, Urge to Kill, (CD / Widowspeak / Rustblade, 2015)
- Browne, David. Goodbye 20th Century: A Biography of Sonic Youth. Da Capo Press, 2008. ISBN 978-0-306-81515-7. pg. 81 ff.
- Strong, Martin C. (2003) The Great Indie Discography, Canongate, ISBN 1-84195-335-0, p. 588