|Full name||Robert Beswick|
8 December 1984 |
Wigan, Greater Manchester, England
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||14 st 11 lb (94 kg)|
|Position||Loose forward, Hooker|
As of 26 March 2017
Bob Beswick (born 8 December 1984) is an English-born Irish international rugby league player who currently plays for Toronto Wolfpack. He previously played in the Championship for Widnes Vikings, Leigh Centurions and Halifax and in Super League for Wigan Warriors. His position of choice is at Hooker.
Beswick is a former Wigan St Patricks amateur and Deanery pupil, he played for Wigan's Academy U17s during the 2002 season. He played for the Wigan Academy U21s in 2003, winning the Academy Championship.
Beswick was called up into the first team squad for 2004 after the departures of Paul Johnson and Shaun Briscoe due to salary cap restrictions. Wigan rugby executive Dean Bell said: "Bob is an exciting prospect, and his progression through to the first-team squad continues the policy of bringing young players through the ranks."
Beswick made his first team début in Terry O'Connor's Testimonial match against London Broncos. Despite becoming a first team regular during an injury hit 2005 campaign Beswick was released at the end of the season. He had made 22 competitive appearances for Wigan, scoring 2 tries.
In October 2005, Bob signed a two-year contract at newly relegated Widnes Vikings.
He continued to play for Widnes in 2007, scoring 5 tries in 23 games. He signed for Halifax after Widnes lost to Halifax in the NL1 quarter-final playoff.
He signed for Halifax in September 2008 for the 2009 season. Beswick featured on the losing side for Halifax in the 2011 Northern Rail Cup Final at Bloomfield Road, Blackpool against Leigh Centurions, before joining Leigh the following year for the 2012 season.
In 2016 it was announced that he would join Toronto Wolfpack for their inaugural season in 2017, also becoming the club's head of strength and conditioning.
He was named in the Ireland squad as captain for the 2009 European Nations Cup.
At the end of the 2014 season, Bob captained Ireland in the 2014 European Cup tournament.
At the conclusion of the 2015 season, he was the vice-captain of Ireland in the 2015 European Cup tournament.
In 2016 he was called up to the Ireland squad for the 2017 Rugby League World Cup European Pool B qualifiers.
- Leigh Centurions official website[permanent dead link]
- Rugby League Project
- "Bob Beswick". Widnes. 20 July 2007. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 20 July 2007.
- "Player Stats". Widnes. 20 July 2007. Archived from the original on 21 June 2007. Retrieved 20 July 2007.
- "White Eyes a Green Jersey". RLWC08.com. 21 July 2008. Retrieved 30 July 2008.[permanent dead link]
- "Cassidy included in Ireland squad". BBC. 7 October 2008. Retrieved 7 October 2008.
- "Warrington Wolves trio named in Ireland squad for World Cup qualifiers". Warrington Guardian. 24 September 2016. Retrieved 26 September 2016.