Bob Harper (personal trainer)
August 18, 1965
|Occupation||Personal trainer, author, reality television personality|
|Height||5 ft 11.5 in (181.6 cm)|
Robert Harper (born August 18, 1965) is an American personal trainer, reality television personality, and author. He appears on the American television series The Biggest Loser. On September 8, 2015, Harper was announced as new host of The Biggest Loser, succeeding Alison Sweeney. He was an advisor on The New Celebrity Apprentice.
Harper has worked as a personal trainer for celebrity clients, including Jennifer Jason Leigh. In 1999, he was cast as an extra in Melissa Etheridge's hit video for the song "Angels Would Fall" from her album Breakdown. He is featured as a trainer on the United States version of The Biggest Loser reality television series. He has been a trainer on the NBC show since 2004. and has appeared in several Biggest Loser DVD workouts. Harper is also featured in the first three seasons of the Australian version of the show.
In early 2010, Harper launched mytrainerbob.com, a website where subscribers could discuss weight loss and receive coaching. The success of his site led to the release of his first workout DVD series in May, titled "Bob Harper: Inside Out Method." Harper has also contributed workouts to the Shape magazine website.
After reading the book Skinny Bitch, Harper became a vegetarian. In 2010, he then became a vegan. In 2013 Harper stopped following a vegan diet because "my body personally got to a point where I needed something more." He practices Transcendental Meditation. He is an avid CrossFit athlete.
Harper has spoken out against puppy mills and has adopted a black and white dog from the Animal Advocates Alliance in Baldwin Park, California. He named the dog Karl, after Karl Lagerfeld, because of the dog's color.
Harper publicly came out as gay in the seventh episode of the fifteenth season of The Biggest Loser, while talking to a contestant who was having difficulty telling his parents about his sexuality. Harper revealed he had come out to his parents at 17, but that this was his first time ever addressing his sexuality publicly in his career. The episode aired on November 28, 2013.
- Harper, Bob (2008). Are You Ready!: Take Charge, Lose Weight, Get in Shape, and Change. Harmony Books. ISBN 978-0-767-92872-4.
- Harper, Bob; Greg Critser (2012). The Skinny Rules: The Simple, Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting to Thin. Ballantine Books. ISBN 978-0-345-53312-8.
- Harper, Bob; Greg Critser (2013). Jumpstart to Skinny: The Simple 3-Week Plan for Supercharged Weight Loss. Ballantine Books. ISBN 978-0-345-54510-7.
- Harper, Bob (2014). Skinny Meals: Everything You Need to Lose Weight-Fast!. Ballantine Books. ISBN 978-0-804-17889-1.
- Harper, Bob (2017). The Super Carb Diet. St. Martin's Press. ISBN 978-1-250-14660-1.
- "Bob Harper". TVGuide.com. Archived from the original on February 16, 2013. Retrieved September 8, 2015.
- "Veteran Trainer Bob Harper Named Host of NBC's 'The Biggest Loser'" (Press release). NBC via Tvbythenumbers.com. September 8, 2015. Archived from the original on September 10, 2015. Retrieved September 8, 2015.
- Nemetz, Dave (2016-12-01). "New Celebrity Apprentice: Six Famous Advisors Join Arnold in the Boardroom". TVLine. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- "Angels Would Fall". YouTube.
- "Bob Harper". IMDB.
- "The Biggest Loser Australia". IMDB.
- "Who is Bob Harper?". FWL.
- "My Trainer Bob". mytrainerbob.com. Archived from the original on 2008-04-01.
- "Marketing firm inks deals with celebrities". Crain's New York Business.
- "My Trainer Bob DVD". mytrainerbobdvd.com.
- "Shape Videos". Shape magazine.
- "About APSU - Notable Alumni". Austin Peay State University. Archived from the original on 2010-05-27. Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- "Bob Harper Goes Vegan". VegNews. Archived from the original on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2010-06-21.
- "It's Official! 'The Biggest Loser' Trainer Bob Harper Goes From Vegetarian To Vegan!". Ecorazzi. Archived from the original on 2013-12-03. Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- "Bob Harper of "Biggest Loser" talks diet, fitness". Reuters. September 16, 2013. Archived from the original on December 4, 2015. Retrieved June 30, 2017.
- "'Biggest Loser' host Bob Harper's 5 steps to a healthier new year". Today.com. 27 December 2016. Retrieved 18 January 2017.
I’m a big meditator, I do TM, I do it every day, twice a day. [Video: 2’]
- Harper, Bob (7 February 2013). "I Drank the CrossFit Kool-Aid". Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "Meet the newest training partner for Bob Harper of 'The Biggest Loser': Karl (as in Lagerfeld)". Los Angeles Times. June 7, 2010.
- "Email – Walk for Farm Animals: Coming Soon to a Town Near You! – Farm Sanctuary". farmsanctuary.org.
- Stanhope, Kate (November 28, 2013). "Biggest Loser Trainer Bob Harper Comes Out". TV Guide. Retrieved November 28, 2013.