Bob LaMonte is an American sports agent who works primarily with National Football League coaches and management. He is the founder and president of Professional Sports Representation, Inc. LaMonte also represents college coaches and Major League Baseball and NFL players. In 2007, his head coaching clients earned more than $37 million. In 2008, LaMonte represented three of the top ten NFL's most valuable coaches by Forbes. As of February 5, 2010, LaMonte represented a total of forty five clients with forty being involved in football.
LaMonte graduated from the Santa Clara University in 1968. He was a nose tackle on the varsity football team in 1964 and 1965. In 1970, he received a master's degree in diplomatic history from San Jose State University. Lamonte taught history at Oak Grove High School until 1973, and moved on to teach at Santa Teresa High School until 1992. He was part of the coaching staff of the football programs at both schools. In 1981, one of his former students, Rich Campbell, asked him to represent him as Campbell would go on to be selected in the first round of the 1981 NFL Draft by the Green Bay Packers. He would represent former San Francisco Bay Area athletes including Dave Stieb, Robin White, Mervyn Fernandez, and Nick Vanos. On March 8, 1985, LaMonte negotiated the longest baseball contract at the time with the Toronto Blue Jays for Stieb. In 1992, Mike Holmgren asked LaMonte to represent him to negotiate a deal for the heading coaching position for the Green Bay Packers. He retired from teaching that year, and moved on to focus on representing NFL coaches, and would help expand the role of NFL head coaches by also being involved in personnel decisions. Already the head football coach of the Philadelphia Eagles since 1999, LaMonte negotiated a contract to expand the duties of his client, Andy Reid, to become executive VP of football operations.
LaMonte's book on leadership was entitled Winning the NFL Way, and was released in 2005.
- "Shadow People: Meet nine mighty forces who stand behind the men and women in the spotlight and help them succeed". Bloomberg Business Week. 2007-09-27. Archived from the original on 2010-10-07. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "The NFL's Most Valuable Coaches". Forbes.com. 2008-09-03. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- "Reno's Bob LaMonte among NFL's most powerful". Reno Gazette - Journal. 2010-02-05. Retrieved 2010-07-07.
- "Santa Clara University Notable Alumni". Santa Clara University. 2009-08-26. Archived from the original on 2010-05-27. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Santa Clara Football Alphabetical Roster, All Teams 1959 through 1992". Let Them Play.com.
- "SCU Grad Is One of Most Powerful Agents in Coaching". Santa Clara Broncos Inside Athletics. 2002-07-08. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- "Jays sign Stieb to 11-year deal for $25 million". Montreal Gazette. 1985-03-09. p. D-13. Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Lessons In Diplomacy". Santa Clara Magazine. Winter 2009. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- "The Matchmaker". Sports Illustrated. 2004-05-03. Retrieved 2010-07-05.