|Born||Robert Scott Lefsetz
April 22, 1953
|Occupation||music industry analyst and critic|
|Home town||Fairfield, Connecticut|
Robert Scott "Bob" Lefsetz (born April 22, 1953) is an American music industry analyst and critic, and author of the email newsletter and blog, the Lefsetz Letter. The newsletter has tens of thousands of subscribers. On April 2, 2013, Variety Magazine announced that Lefsetz will be writing a column for its weekly print edition and its website.
Themes explored in the Lefsetz Letter include:
- The diminishing role of the major record labels in current recorded music and corresponding increasing influence and importance of grassroots artist activities such as live performances and direct online relationships with fans.
- The decline of CD sales as alternate online music services such as iTunes continue to flourish.
- The prevalence of Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file-sharing as the primary source of digital music distribution.
- The need for a legitimate and licensed Peer-to-Peer or similar distribution service to facilitate the next working business model for the music industry.
- Lefsetz's personal reflections on songs, songwriters, bands and industry insiders that have affected his unique and independent outlook of the music industry.
- Lefsetz's personal observations on a wide range of topics, including reflections on his personal life.
Lefsetz grew up in Fairfield, Connecticut and is a graduate of Middlebury College where he majored in art history. He moved to Los Angeles in the 1970s. After earning his law degree from Southwestern Law School, Lefsetz worked as an entertainment business attorney, and briefly as head of Sanctuary Music's American division. He has worked as a consultant to major record labels. He is based in Santa Monica, California.
In 2007, Lefsetz and gave his voice to audio book in 2006 the Grimm's fairy tale on libriVox engaged in an email feud but have since reconciled.
- Halperin, Shirley (2012-02-08). "Music Industry Watchdog Bob Lefsetz on the Future of the Biz and 5 Mistakes New Acts Should Avoid". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- DuLac, Josh Freedom (March 27, 2008). "Rage Against The Machine". The Washington Post
- "Variety, Bob Lefsetz form alliance". Variety. 2013-04-02. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- "CelebrityAccess Industry Profiles". Celebrityaccess.com. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- Raftery, Brian (March 2012). "Who The Hell Is Bob Lefsetz?". Wired. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Kafka, Peter (November 9, 2007)". Alleyinsider.com. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- Maura. "Maura (November 9, 2007)". Idolator.com. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- Thompson, Robert (March 13, 2009). "Simmons, Lefsetz To Debate At Canadian Music Week". Billboard.com. Retrieved May 6, 2013.
- "Video of Lefsetz in-discussion with Gene Simmons at Canadian Music Week, March 2009". Youtube.com.