|Birth name||Robert Nastanovich|
August 27, 1967 |
Rochester, New York, United States
|Genres||Rock, indie rock|
|Instruments||Vocals, percussion, harmonica, keyboard|
|Labels||Drag City, Domino|
|Associated acts||Silver Jews, Pavement, Ectoslavia, Pale Horse Riders Misshapen Lodge|
Robert "Bob" Nastanovich (born August 27, 1967 in Rochester, New York, United States) is an American musician and member of the indie rock band Pavement, as well as former member of the Silver Jews, Ectoslavia, Pale Horse Riders and Misshapen Lodge
Bob Nastanovich was born in Rochester, New York. He attended the University of Virginia, where he met Pavement's Stephen Malkmus and future Silver Jews leader David Berman. The three moved to Jersey City, New Jersey, living and working together at various jobs in art galleries (as security guards) and Nastanovich as a bus driver/bus terminal manager in New York City and Hoboken. It was during this period that Malkmus reunited with longtime friend Scott Kannberg to create the first (then unofficial) Pavement album Slanted and Enchanted in drummer Gary Young's makeshift home studio. It is also during this time that the seeds for the future Silver Jews (Nastanovich, Malkmus and Berman) were planted.
Nastanovich, upon his introduction to the band in 1990, performed many functions – namely backing vocals, percussion, harmonica, and effects-based keyboard. Initially, his key role was that of assistant time keeper, effectively focusing the efforts of the distracted and eccentric Young. Nastanovich remained a member of the band after Young left, although Steve West became the new drummer.
Nastanovich sang lead vocals on live performances of the songs "Debris Slide," "Conduit for Sale," and "Unfair." He's known for his stage presence and his trademark scream.
Nastanovich also played on several Silver Jews records. He has tour managed Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, the Frogs, Huggy Bear, Fila Brazillia (road crew) and Silver Jews. In addition, he has played on recordings by Palace Brothers, Tall Dwarfs and Pale Horse Riders. Nastanovich is also a sometime member of the improvising post-rock-ish band Misshapen Lodge, formed in Hull on one of his visits to the city.
He rejoined Pavement for their worldwide "Reunion" tour in 2010.
Nastanovich is a fan of thoroughbred horse racing, and owns, breeds and manages many horses in his current home of Des Moines, Iowa. After Pavement's split, he served as jockey agent for Greta Kuntzweiler and Joe Johnson.
Nastanovich married artist Whitney Grey Courtney on February 21, 2009.
He is currently employed as a chart caller for Equibase, and works at Prairie Meadows in Altoona, Iowa. He also reports on various racetracks for Daily Racing Form as a writer and correspondent.
By visiting Epsom Race Course on August 27, 2012, Nastanovich, celebrating his 45th birthday, became the first known American citizen to attend horse racing fixtures at all 60 British race courses.
- 1991 – Early Times (Silver Jews)
- 1992 – Arizona Record (Silver Jews)
- 1993 – Watery, Domestic EP (Pavement)
- 1994 – Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (Pavement)
- 1994 – Starlite Walker (Silver Jews)
- 1995 – Vituperate (Pale Horse Riders)
- 1995 – Wowee Zowee (Pavement)
- 1997 – Brighten the Corners (Pavement)
- 1999 – Terror Twilight (Pavement)
- 2005 – Tanglewood Numbers (Silver Jews)
- "'It Hasn't Been a Disaster' "". Grantland.com. January 10, 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-18.
- "Pavement Reunion Tour Confirmed For 2010". MTV. September 17, 2009. Retrieved 2014-08-18.
- "Greta Kuntzweiler's second chance | Daily Racing Form". Drf.com. Retrieved 2014-08-18.
- "Strange Beauty ShowThanks everyone for coming out to Strange Beauty Show's gallery/holiday event last night!...". Strange Beauty Show. Retrieved 2014-08-18.
- "Horse Racing | Horse Racing Entries | Horse Racing Results | Past Performances |". Equibase.com. Retrieved 2014-08-18.
- "Ez Dreamer, Prairie Meadows, Iowa Sprint Handicap, Euphony, Iowa Distaff Breeders' Cup, horse racing, horse – ESPN". Sports.espn.go.com. June 28, 2009. Retrieved 2014-08-18.
- "Bob Nastanovich | Daily Racing Form". Drf.com. Retrieved 2014-08-18.