Bob Ostertag: All the Rage
|Bob Ostertag: All the Rage|
|Studio album by|
|Released||22 October 1993|
|Kronos Quartet chronology|
Bob Ostertag: All the Rage is an experimental album by the Kronos Quartet and Eric Gupton (reading). It is a composition by Bob Ostertag (with libretto by Sara Miles), whose loops and samples are alternated with music by the quartet. Ostertag composed the piece as a response to California governor Pete Wilson veto of pro-gay legislation in 1991. Proceeds went to AIDS research.
"All the Rage" includes sound that Ostertag recorded on location during the AB101 Veto Riot on Sept. 30, 1991, in San Francisco. The civil disturbance followed a protest against Wilson's veto of AB101, a bill that would have banned discrimination against lesbians and gay men in California; it is believed to be the last gay riot to have taken place in the United States.
A 2011 documentary short by filmmaker Steve Elkins recounts the history of the riot and of "All the Rage." In addition, Ostertag offered his memories of the riot and the background of the composition during a panel held at the GLBT History Museum in San Francisco marking the 20th anniversary of the riot.
All music is composed by Bob Ostertag, with libretto by Sara Miles.
|1.||"All The Rage"||16:15|
Rob Theakston, writing for allmusic, said the interplay between Kronos and Ostertag is full of tension of potent magnitude, and called it "an eloquent tone poem that fans of both artists will enjoy."
- David Harrington - violin
- John Sherba - violin
- Hank Dutt - viola
- Joan Jeanrenaud - cello
- Eric Gupton - reading
- Recorded at Mastersound Studios, Astoria, Queens
- Judith Sherman - Producer
- Robert Hurwitz - Executive producer
- Paul Zinman - Engineer
- David Merrill - Assistant engineer
- David Wojnarowicz - Cover
- Frank Olinsky - Design
- Holland, Bernard (1992-04-28). "Classical Music in Review". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-01-27.
- "Hamlisch Symphony Plays in Paris". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. 1994-05-30. p. D7.
- Theakston, Rob (2007). "Album review, Rage". All Music Guide. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
- Steve Elkins (director) (2011). A history of 'All the Rage' (video). Candela Films.
- "All the Rage: Stories from the AB101 Veto Riot of 1991" (panel discussion) (video). San Francisco: GLBT Historical Society. Sep 29, 2011.