Robert Holmes Swan
1959/1960 (age 58–59)
Syracuse, New York, U.S.
|Education||Corcoran High School|
|Board member of||eBay|
|Website||Bob Swan – Intel|
Robert (Bob) Holmes Swan (born 1959 or 1960) is an American business executive and the current CEO of Intel Corporation. He was CFO of TRW Inc, Electronic Data Systems, and eBay before joining Intel as CFO in October 2016. He was named interim CEO of Intel on June 21, 2018. On January 31st, 2019, Intel announced that he was appointed to full-time CEO of the company.
Early life and education
Swan was born in Syracuse, New York. He graduated from Corcoran High School in 1978. He received a bachelor's degree in business administration from the University at Buffalo in 1983 and his MBA from Binghamton University in 1985.
GE and EDS
He worked at General Electric starting in 1985 after receiving his MBA, holding various senior finance roles during his 15-year tenure. He was at Electronic Data Systems as CFO. From 1988 until 1994 he was involved with GE's corporate audit staff, and afterwards he became the CFO of GE Transportation Systems. From 1997 until 1998, he was the vice president of Finance for GE Medical Systems in Europe. From 1998 until 1999, he was vice president of finance and CFO of GE Lighting.
He joined Webvan in 1999 as a vice president of finance. From 2000 until 2001 he was the company's COO and CFO. In 2001 he became CEO after the resignation of George Shaheen four months before the company went under. After Webvan, he joined TRW as CFO, serving as vice president of TRW Automotive Holdings. He was with TRW from July 2001 until December 2002.
In 2001, he became CFO of Northrop Grumman Space & Mission Systems Corporation. He was also CFO of Electronic Data Systems Corporation. From 2003 until 2006, he was CFO of HP Enterprise Services.
Ebay and General Atlantic
In 2013, the Silicon Valley Business Journal named him CFO of the Year. In 2014, he won a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Bay Area CFO of the Year Awards. That year, Institutional Investor named him to its America's Best CFOs list.
In September 2016, he was named the new CFO of Intel, replacing Stacy Smith, and joining from General Atlantic. He officially joined Intel on October 10, 2016 as executive vice president and first outside CFO that Intel had recruited since 1983.
He was named interim CEO on June 21, 2018 following the resignation of Brian Krzanich. Swan had oversight at that point for sales, manufacturing, and operations. In September 2018, he addressed supply concerns with an open letter. Bob Swan remained Intel's interim CEO and CFO until January 31, 2019 when he was appointed permanent CEO. He had reportedly told employees he was not pursuing a permanent CEO position.
He joined eBay's board in 2015 and in 2016 he was on the boards of eBay, Applied Materials, App Dynamics, and Alignment Healthcare. He was on the board of AppDynamics until October 2016 and Applied Materials until September 2016. He remains on the board of Alignment Healthcare. He is also a director of Skype Global, and has been since December 2009.
- Rick Moriarty (June 21, 2018). "New Intel interim CEO Robert Swan is a Syracuse native and Corcoran grad". Syracuse.com. Retrieved January 15, 2019.
- "Intel Names Robert Swan CEO". www.intc.com. Retrieved 2019-01-31.
- "Robert (Bob) H. Swan - Intel Newsroom".
- "Webvan quits Atlanta, names new CEO - Apr. 26, 2001". money.cnn.com.
- "Intel Corp (INTC:NASDAQ)". Bloomberg. Retrieved January 15, 2019.
- Keith Regan (August 1, 2001). "Webvan CEO Lands New Job". Commerce Times. Retrieved January 12, 2019.
- Parmy Olson (February 22, 2006). "Whitman Appoints Veteran Swan As EBay CFO". Forbes. Retrieved January 12, 2019.
- "Intel appoints former eBay CFO Bob Swan as new finance chief". Business Times. September 20, 2016.
- Tatyana Shumsky and Don Clark (September 19, 2016). "Intel Hires Bob Swan as Finance Chief". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- "Bob Swan, eBay Inc". Bay Area CFO of the Year Awards. Retrieved January 15, 2019.
- "eBay Inc.'s Bob Swan Honored Among America's Best CFOs". eBay. March 18, 2014. Retrieved January 15, 2019.
- "5 Things To Know About Intel Interim CEO Robert Swan". CRN. June 21, 2018. Retrieved January 12, 2019.
- "Intel Just Named Its Next Chief Financial Officer". Fortune. September 19, 2016. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Julie Bort (June 27, 2018). "Intel's temporary CEO has reportedly told employees he's not pursuing the job". Business Insider. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Eugene Kim (September 20, 2016). "Intel is paying over $23 million to bring in eBay's former CFO". Business Insider. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Marco Chiappetta (September 28, 2018). "Interim Intel CEO Addresses Recent Supply Concerns In Open Letter". Forbes. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Jennifer Elias (January 11, 2019). "Intel's interim CEO touts 'biggest served market' in company history". Silicon Valley Business Journal. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Ian King (June 27, 2018). "Intel's interim CEO Bob Swan tells staff he doesn't want the job". Livemint. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Ed Lin (December 6, 2018). "Intel's Interim CEO Swan Is the Only Insider Buying Stock Since 2010". Barron's. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Ed Lin. "Intel Interim CEO Bob Swan Is Buying Up eBay Stock". Barron's. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Bob Swan|
- Bob Swan - Intel
| CEO, Intel