Bobbi Brown backstage at The Heart Truth fashion show in 2009
April 14, 1957 |
|Occupation||Make-up artist, businesswoman|
Bobbi Brown (born April 14, 1957) is an American professional makeup artist and the founder and CCO of Bobbi Brown Cosmetics. Brown has written eight books about makeup and beauty. She is the Contributing Beauty & Lifestyle Editor of Health magazine and Beauty & Lifestyle editor of the Elvis Duran and the Morning Show radio broadcast.
Born to a Jewish family in Chicago, Illinois, Brown graduated from Emerson College in Boston with a degree in theatrical makeup. In 1980, she moved to New York City to work as a professional makeup artist. Brown became known for a makeup style that included moderate and natural tones, which was a stark contrast to the bright colors used at the time. In 1991, she and a chemist released a line of new lipsticks under the brand Bobbi Brown Essentials, which debuted at Bergdorf Goodman in New York City. The success of her makeup line led Estée Lauder to buy the company in 1995. Her work has since been featured on the covers of magazines such as Elle, Vogue, Self and Town & Country. Brown was inducted into the New Jersey Hall of Fame as part of the Class of 2013.
Bobbi Brown Essentials
In 1990, Brown worked with a chemist to come up with ten natural lipstick shades. In 1991, the ten shades debuted under the name Bobbi Brown Essentials at Bergdorf Goodman. The following year, she released yellow-toned foundation sticks. Estée Lauder Companies Inc. bought Bobbi Brown Essentials in 1995; Brown retained complete creative control of the makeup line. In 2007, the first freestanding Bobbi Brown Cosmetics retail store opened in Montclair, New Jersey with a makeup school in the back. In 2012, Bobbi Brown’s cosmetics were estimated to represent approximately ten percent of Estée Lauder Companies’ total sales. As of January 2014, there were approximately thirty free-standing Bobbi Brown cosmetics stores. Bobbi Brown's cosmetic stores also offer makeup lessons for anyone who is interested in pursuing a career in the makeup industry.
Other product lines
- Bobbi Brown Beauty: The Ultimate Resource (1995) (ISBN 0-446-58134-8)
- Bobbi Brown Teenage Beauty: Everything You Need to Look Pretty, Natural, Sexy and Awesome (2000) with Annemarie Iverson, New York Times Best Seller (ISBN 0-06-095724-7)
- Bobbi Brown Beauty Evolution: A Guide to a Lifetime of Beauty (2002) (ISBN 0-06-008881-8)
- Bobbi Brown Living Beauty (2007) (ISBN 0-8212-5834-6)
- Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: For Everyone from Beginner to Pro (2008) (ISBN 0-446-58134-8)
- Bobbi Brown Beauty Rules (2010) (ISBN 0-811-87468-0)
- Bobbi Brown Pretty Powerful (2012) with Sara Bliss (ISBN 0-811-87704-3)
- Everything Eyes (2014) with Sara Bliss (ISBN 978-1-4521-1961-8)
Bobbi Brown Cosmetics launched The Pretty Powerful Campaign for Women & Girls on International Women’s Day in 2013. Pretty Powerful supports organizations that seek to empower women through job skills training programs and girls though education. Beneficiaries to date include Dress for Success, the Broome Street Academy High School, and the Girl Rising Fund.
- Brown, Bobbi (November 2007). "How I Did It: Bobbi Brown, Founder and CEO, Bobbi Brown Cosmetics". www.inc.com. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- Welles, Linda (1990-02-04). "Style Makers; Bobbi Brown, Makeup Artist". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- Hindash, Saed. "New Jersey Hall of Fame inducts Grover Cleveland, Whitney Houston". NJ.com. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Dougherty, Emily. "The Pretty Powerful Bobbi Brown". Elle. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Donelson, Sophie. "Bobbi Brown". TimeOut New York. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Muther, Christopher. "Makeup class". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Bobbi Brown's winter beauty tips". The Today Show. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Snyder, Brianna. "Bobbi Brown's new book shows how makeup can bring out the best in us". Times Union. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Beauty Tips From Bobbi Brown". Health. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Bobbi Brown-- Our New Beauty & Style Expert". Elvis Duran and the Morning Show. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Danielle Cantor. "Bobbi Brown". Jewish Women's International, Jewish Woman Magazine. Retrieved January 20, 2012.
- Long, April. "Beauty Insider: Bobbi Brown". Elle. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Bruce Weber Shoots Beauty Queen Bobbi Brown as Her Brand Turns 20". Barney's New York. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "What beauty means to an industry icon". AM New York. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Voguepedia: Bobbi Brown". Vogue. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Lawson, Carol. "Bobbi Brown Puts Best Faces Forward". The New York Times. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Buck, Joan Juliet. "The Mogul Next Door". The New York Times. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "The 411: Bobbi Brown". Style. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Bobbi Brown, fragrance collection". The Perfume Girl. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Bobbi Brown debuts new eyewear line". New York Daily News. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Bobbi Brown Debuts Eyewear Collection". BWW Fashion World. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Children's Best Sellers". The New York Times. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Beresiner, Sophie. "Bobbi Brown is Pretty Powerful". Elle UK. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Kaiser, Rachel. "Girl Power! Bobbi Brown's Pretty Powerful Campaign". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Dress for Success: Who We Are: Sponsors". www.dressforsuccess.org. Retrieved 2008-08-02.
- Del Russo, Maria. "Bobbi Brown Makes Women Pretty and Powerful". Pop Sugar. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Galant, Debra. "The Makeup Maven of Montclair", The New York Times, February 16, 2003. Accessed November 28, 2007.
- Fleming, Kristen. "The Life Aquatic; Makeup maven Bobbi Brown enjoys the simple life on the Jersey Shore.", New York Post, February 15, 2009, backed up by the Internet Archive as of February 18, 2013. Accessed September 2, 2011. "While most well-heeled New Yorkers head east to their sprawling Hamptons manses every weekend, cosmetics kingpin Bobbi Brown goes south—to the considerably more laid-back Bay Head on the Jersey Shore."
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bobbi Brown.|