August 11, 1957
|Weight||235 lb (107 kg)|
Bobby Blake (born Edgar Gaines in August 11, 1957 in Memphis, Tennessee) is an African-American baptist pastor, who previously worked as a gay pornographic film actor. Blake retired from porn in 2000.
Blake appeared in over 100 releases.
Bobby Blake was a long time partner with Flex-Deon Blake. Bobby actually referred Flex-Deon to the producer Edward James, and secured the introduction of Flex-Deon to the adult industry. Bobby Blake has told the story of their relationship in his book, My Life in Porn.
- As a subject of Gay Studies
The film Niggas' Revenge, and Flex-Deon Blake's role in it, have become the subject of academic discussion. In his book, Unlimited Intimacy: Reflections on the Subculture of Barebacking, Tim Dean, a professor at the University at Buffalo, treats Niggas' Revenge in detail because of the way in which it fetishizes the simultaneous transgression of a number of taboos, all in order, Dean argues, to “conjure the transgressive charge of unprotected anal sex among gay men.” The representation of interracial sex, rape, violence, and incest (between Chris Blake and Bobby Blake) is enhanced by what Dean calls Flex-Deon Blake’s "phallicized" appearance.
Autobiography: My Life in Porn
Bobby Blake has written the book My Life in Porn: The Bobby Blake Story co-written by Blake and John R. Gordon and published by the Running Press of Philadelphia in 2008. In his autobiography, he talks extensively about his youth and experiences in the adult film industry. In one of the closing chapters entitled "Prodigal Returns", Blake depicts himself in biblical terms as the "prodigal son" who "had to leave [his] church and the place of [his] birth and go out there in the far country." However, he continues, "in all the years I was working in the adult entertainment business, I never turned my back on God or the Bible teachings I had grown up with." Blake emphasizes that he has no regrets about his lifestyle, interpreting it as part of God's plan for him: "Now that it's over, I can accept that that journey was all part of God's plan for me."
In his personal life, Bobby Blake was the long-term partner of Flex-Deon Blake, another well-known black gay pornographic actor. It was Bobby Blake who, by referring Flex-Deon to the producer Edward James, introduced his partner to the adult industry. Bobby Blake has told the story of their relationship in his book, My Life in Porn.
- Bobby Blake and John R. Gordon, My Life in Porn, Running Press Book Publishers, June 9, 2008, 280p. (ISBN 978-0-786-72096-5)
- Get Hooked on This
- Black Workout 10
- Black Sex Party #3
- Black Ballers
- Black Ballers 2
- Black Power
- The Underboss
- Niggas' Revenge (2001)
- Bobby Blake at the Internet Adult Film Database. Retrieved on 2007-12-14.
- See Owen Keehnen, More Starz, 90–2, esp. 90.
- See Bobby Blake with John R. Gordon, My Life in Porn: The Bobby Blake Story (Philadelphia: Running Press, 2008).
- Tim Dean, Unlimited Intimacy: Reflections on the Subculture of Barebacking (Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press, 2009), 157.
- Blake, p. 9.
- Blake, p. 277.
- TBC, TBC elders and ministers, tbcatlanta.net, USA, accessed February 7, 2018
- Herndon L. Davis (2007-11-23). "Jesus, Porn and Gay Marriage: The Life of Rev. Bobby Blake". GayWired.com. Archived from the original on 2008-12-11. Retrieved 2007-12-14.
- "Stripped of funding: officials say porn star Bobby Blake was paid with federal funds to strip – AIDS". The Advocate. 2002-12-10. Retrieved 2007-12-14.[dead link]
- Ari Bendersky (2002-11-07). "AIDS group leaders fired over porn flap". PlanetOut. Archived from the original on June 28, 2004. Retrieved 2007-12-14.