After studying Contemporary Arts at Nottingham Trent University, Friction’s career as a DJ started in 1997 with residencies at the ‘Swaraj' night at the Blue Note, Hoxton, and the ‘Shaanti' club at Birmingham’s Custard Factory.
BBC Radio 1
Friction joined BBC Radio 1 in 2002 co-hosting Bobby Friction & Nihal Presents with DJ Nihal. In 2003 the show won a Sony Gold Award in the Specialist Music category. In 2004 Friction and Nihal released a compilation album of music featured on the show.
BBC Asian Network
Friction joined BBC Asian Network in 2005, initially presenting the station’s Saturday afternoon Album Chart Show and then The Mix on Sunday afternoons. In 2006 he began presenting a weeknightly show, Friction, showcasing new music by British Asian and South Asian artists. Friction moved to a daily drivetime show at the station in 2012, winning Best Radio Show at the Asian Media Awards in 2016. In 2018 his documentary Straight Outta Mumbai explored the history of Indian hip-hop.
In 2004 Friction was one of the judging panel in Channel 4’s series Bollywood Star. He went on to present documentaries for the channel including Generation 7/7 and The Countryside Sucks. He has also made appearances on The Wright Stuff (Channel 5), The Daily Politics (BBC2) and Sunday Morning Live (BBC1). In 2012 he appeared on Celebrity Mastermind, answering questions on the life and music of Prince.
Friction presented Friction on EVR, a weekly show on East Village Radio from 2012 and has been featured on streaming service Saavn. He has made regular appearances on BBC 6 Music, presenting a self-titled show, curating a tribute to Prince and sitting in for other presenters in their absence.
He has presented documentaries for BBC Radio 4 on topics such as pub culture in the West Midlands Punjabi community, the aftermath of the assassination of Indira Gandhi in New Delhi in 1984, and filter bubbles in social media.
- Births in England and Wales 1837-2006
- Hub. Vinny Bhagat.
- "Various - Bobby Friction & Nihal Present..." Discogs. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Radio Today".
- "Asian Media Awards 2016 Winners List". Asian Media Awards. 2016-10-28. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- Newsdesk, Asianlite (2018-03-31). "Straight Outta Mumbai: Story of hip-hop & rap in India". Leading Asian News in the UK. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- News, Manchester Evening (2007-02-19). "Telly talk: Bollygood show!". men. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Indian music receives a big rap while going desi". asianage.com/. 2017-03-14. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Bobby Friction - BBC Radio 6 Music". BBC. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Bobby Friction sits in, Guy Garvey's Finest Hour - BBC Radio 6 Music". BBC. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Prom 8: Late Night with ... BBC Asian Network – Bobby Friction, Naughty Boy, Kanika Kapoor, Benny Dayal, Palak Muchhal, Emeli Sandé & Arrow Benjamin with the BBC Philharmonic & Richard Davis @www.classicalsource.com". Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Desi Pubs - BBC Radio 4". BBC. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Assassination: When Delhi Burned - BBC Radio 4". BBC. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Bursting the Social Network Bubble - BBC Radio 4". BBC. Retrieved 2018-04-24.