Bobby Green (fighter)
Bobby Ray Green|
September 9, 1986
San Bernardino, California, United States
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||156 lb (71 kg; 11.1 st)|
Lightweight (145–155 Ib) |
Welterweight (155–170 Ib)
|Reach||71 in (180 cm)|
|Style||Boxing, Wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Fighting out of||Fontana, California, United States|
|Team||Icon Mixed Martial Arts|
|Rank||Blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Bobby Ray Green (born September 9, 1986) is an American professional mixed martial artist who is currently under contract with the UFC, competing in their Lightweight division. A professional competitor since 2008, Green is the former King of the Cage Lightweight Champion and has also competed in Tachi Palace Fights, Strikeforce, and Affliction. Green also made an appearance on the MTV/MTV2 reality show Bully Beatdown.
Green was born in San Bernardino, California and became a foster child when he was five years old. Green began wrestling in his sophomore year at A.B. Miller High School in Fontana, California, placing twice in the state tournament. Green began pursuing a career in professional mixed martial arts while he was also working at a warehouse to help support his son.
Mixed martial arts career
Green made his professional mixed martial arts debut in January 2008, and quickly amassed an 8-1 record while fighting on independent events. What made his success more impressive is that Green did not even train for his first dozen professional fights.
Green drew the attention of Affliction Entertainment and fought on their second (and final) card Day of Reckoning. He lost to Dan Lauzon via submission in the first round. Green was docked two points in the first round, in what Sherdog has called one of the dirtiest fights in recent memory.
Following the loss, Green began a successful run in the King of the Cage promotion. On February 25, 2010, Green defeated Ricky Legere via first-round TKO to win the King of the Cage Junior Welterweight Championship at KOTC Arrival at the San Manuel Casino in Highland, California. He eventually defended the title once before losing it to Tim Means. On April 21, Green defeated Dom O'Grady by unanimous decision to win the King of the Cage Lightweight Championship.
On July 14, 2011, it was announced that Green had signed a four-fight deal with Strikeforce. It was originally announced that Green would debut against Milton Vieira at Strikeforce Challengers: Gurgel vs. Duarte. However, on July 19, it was announced he would be filling in for Lyle Beerbohm against Gesias Cavalcante at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson. The fight was very back and forth, but Green lost the fight via a narrow split decision.
His next bout came against Charon Spain at Strikeforce Challengers: Larkin vs. Rossborough. Green won the fight via submission (arm-triangle choke) in the second round but is out indefinitely due to left and right hand injuries.
Green was scheduled to face Isaac Vallie-Flagg at Strikeforce Challengers: Britt vs. Sayers. However, Vallie-Flagg was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by J.P. Reese. He won the fight via submission in the third round.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Green defeated Jacob Volkmann on February 2, 2013 at UFC 156 via rear-naked choke submission in the third round. After back and forth action in the first two rounds, Green displayed some great grappling, countering Volkmann's attempts and finishing with the choke after some vicious ground and pound, which forced Volkmann to give up his back. The performance earned Green Submission of the Night honors.
Green faced James Krause on November 6, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 31. The fight ended in unusual fashion as Green had previously kicked Krause in the groin area twice, resulting in a one-point deduction. Green then landed a blow to Krause's belt line, which resulted in Krause falling to the canvas. Referee John McCarthy declared it a legal blow and awarded Green a TKO victory.
Green was expected to face Jim Miller on April 26, 2014 at UFC 172. However, in the week leading up to the event, Green pulled out of the bout citing another injury and was replaced by Yancy Medeiros.
The bout with Trujillo was rescheduled for August 2, 2014 at UFC 176. However, after UFC 176 was cancelled, Green/Trujillo was rescheduled and was expected to take place on August 16, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 47. Subsequently, Green was removed from this fight on July 11 in favor of a matchup with against Josh Thomson as Green replaced Michael Johnson on July 26, 2014 at UFC on Fox 12. Green won the bout via split decision.
A bout with Jorge Masvidal, first scheduled under the Strikeforce banner in 2012 before being scrapped, was expected to take place on September 27, 2014 at UFC 178. However, on August 14, the UFC announced that Green would now face Donald Cerrone at the event. Following the signing and scheduling of former Bellator MMA Lightweight Champion Eddie Alvarez to face Cerrone at the event, Green was rescheduled to compete at a later, undetermined date.
Green was briefly linked to a bout with Jorge Masvidal on April 4, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 63. However, shortly after the fight was announced by the UFC, Green pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Benson Henderson
Green was expected to face Josh Burkman on October 1, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 96. However, Green pulled out of the fight on September 9 citing personal issues and was replaced by promotional newcomer Zak Ottow.
Green faced Lando Vannata on October 7, 2017 at UFC 216. In round one Vannata landed an illegal knee to the head of the grounded Green, which caused referee Herb Dean to deduct Vannata a point. The judges handed down a split draw after three round with score of 29-27-27-29 and 28-28. This fight earned him Fight of the Night award.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- King of the Cage
- Total Fight Alliance
- TFA Lightweight Championship (One time)
- Warriors Fighting Championship
- WFC 2008 Lightweight Tournament Winner
- California Interscholastic Federation
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|33 matches||24 wins||8 losses|
|Win||24–8–1||Erik Koch||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Jacaré vs. Brunson 2||January 27, 2018||3||5:00||Charlotte, North Carolina, United States|
|Draw||23–8–1||Lando Vannata||Draw (split)||UFC 216||October 7, 2017||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Vannata was deducted one point in round 1 due to an illegal knee. Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||23–8||Rashid Magomedov||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Reis||April 15, 2017||3||5:00||Kansas City, Missouri, United States|
|Loss||23–7||Dustin Poirier||KO (punches)||UFC 199||June 4, 2016||1||2:53||Inglewood, California, United States|
|Loss||23–6||Edson Barboza||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. Swanson||November 22, 2014||3||5:00||Austin, Texas, United States|
|Win||23–5||Josh Thomson||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Lawler vs. Brown||July 26, 2014||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||22–5||Pat Healy||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Benavidez 2||December 14, 2013||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||21–5||James Krause||TKO (body kick)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 3||November 6, 2013||1||3:50||Fort Campbell, Kentucky, United States|
|Win||20–5||Jacob Volkmann||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 156||February 2, 2013||3||4:25||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||19–5||Matt Ricehouse||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman||August 18, 2012||3||5:00||San Diego, California, United States|
|Win||18–5||James Terry||Decision (split)||Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Cormier||May 19, 2012||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||17–5||J.P. Reese||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Britt vs. Sayers||November 18, 2011||3||2:25||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||16–5||Charon Spain||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Larkin vs. Rossborough||September 23, 2011||2||2:54||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||15–5||Gesias Cavalcante||Decision (split)||Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson||July 30, 2011||3||5:00||Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States|
|Win||15–4||Dom O'Grady||Decision (unanimous)||KOTC: Moral Victory||April 21, 2011||5||5:00||Highland, California, United States||Won the KOTC Lightweight Championship.|
|Loss||14–4||Tim Means||TKO (retirement)||KOTC: Inferno||October 7, 2010||2||5:00||Highland, California, United States||Lost the KOTC Junior Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||14–3||Daron Cruickshank||Submission (guillotine choke)||KOTC: Imminent Danger||August 13, 2010||2||2:39||Mescalero, New Mexico, United States||Defended the KOTC Junior Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||13–3||Ricky Legere||TKO (punches)||KOTC: Arrival||February 25, 2010||1||4:27||Highland, California, United States||Won the KOTC Junior Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||12–3||Charles Bennett||KO (punches)||KOTC: Fight 4 Hope||December 17, 2009||1||2:17||Highland, California, United States|
|Loss||11–3||David Mitchell||Submission (toe hold)||TPF 2: Brawl in the Hall||December 3, 2009||1||0:54||Lemoore, California, United States||Welterweight bout.|
|Win||11–2||Sevak Magakian||TKO (punches)||Respect in the Cage 2||November 20, 2009||1||2:24||Pomona, California, United States|
|Win||10–2||Jeff Torch||Submission (punches)||KOTC: Jolted||October 3, 2009||1||1:29||Laughlin, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–2||John Ulloa||Submission (armbar)||KOTC: Immortal||February 27, 2009||1||N/A||San Bernardino, California, United States|
|Loss||8–2||Dan Lauzon||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Affliction: Day of Reckoning||January 24, 2009||1||4:55||Anaheim, California, United States|
|Win||8–1||Toby Grear||TKO (punches)||TFA 11: Pounding at the Pyramid||July 12, 2008||2||3:25||Long Beach, California, United States||Won the TFA Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||7–1||Rafael Salomao||TKO (punches)||Warriors Fighting Championship||June 28, 2008||1||4:10||Mexico City, Mexico||WFC Lightweight Tournament Final.|
|Win||6–1||Israel Giron||KO (punches)||Warriors Fighting Championship||June 28, 2008||1||2:47||Mexico City, Mexico|| WFC Lightweight Tournament Semifinal.|
|Win||5–1||Santiago Manzanares||Decision (split)||Warriors Fighting Championship||June 28, 2008||3||3:00||Mexico City, Mexico||WFC Lightweight Tournament Quarterfinal.|
|Win||4–1||Raymond Ayala||Submission (choke)||Total Fighting Alliance 10||March 22, 2008||2||1:59||Santa Monica, California, United States|
|Win||3–1||Herman Terrado||Submission (guillotine choke)||COF 11: No Mercy||March 8, 2008||3||1:28||Tijuana, Mexico|
|Loss||2–1||Josh Gaskins||Decision (unanimous)||Valor Fighting: Fight Night||March 7, 2008||3||3:00||Tustin, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Henry Briones||Submission (guillotine choke)||UCM 5 - Deadly Zone||February 23, 2008||1||0:48||Tijuana, Mexico|
|Win||1–0||Neal Abrams||KO (punches)||Total Fighting Alliance 9||January 19, 2008||3||1:12||Santa Monica, California, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Lawler vs. Brown". UFC.com. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- Michael Drahota (July 23, 2014). "UFC on FOX 12 fight card: Josh Thomson vs Bobby Green fight preview". mmamania.com.
- "MTV Original TV Shows, Reality TV Shows - MTV". MTV.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-05-29. Retrieved 2014-05-28.
- "Bobby Green". UFC.
- "Strikeforce/M-1 'Fedor vs. Henderson' Preview". Sherdog.com. 2011-07-25.
- http://mmarecap.com/news/King_Of_The_Cage_Arrival_Results_And_Recap-1073%7CKOTC Archived March 4, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Arrival Results
- "Milton Vieira vs. Bobby Green targeted for Strikeforce Challengers 18". MMAJunkie.com. 2011-07-09. Archived from the original on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2011-07-14.
- "Lyle Beerbohm No Longer On Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson Card". addictedmma.com. 2011-07-19.
- "Bobby Green out indefinitely". mmajunkie. September 26, 2011. Archived from the original on September 27, 2011.
- "Strikeforce lightweight Bobby Green meets Jacob Volkmann at UFC 156". mmajunkie. December 21, 2012.
- "Castillo vs. Green set for UFC on FOX 8". MMAjunkie.com. April 11, 2013. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- Staff (2013-07-11). "Tim Means replaces Bobby Green, faces Danny Castillo at UFC on FOX 8". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- Staff (2013-09-06). "James Krause vs. Bobby Green booked for UFC Fight Night 31's 'Troops' event". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- Brian Knapp (2013-11-06). "UFC Fight Night 31 Prelims: Controversial kick propels Bobby Green past James Krause". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Ken Pishna (2013-11-12). "Bobby Green Makes a Quick Turn to Face Pat Healy at UFC on Fox 9". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- Matt Erickson. "UFC on FOX 9 winners Bobby Green, Abel Trujillo booked for UFC 169". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-19.
- Staff (2013-12-31). "Abel Trujillo gets new opponent for UFC 169 main card". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-31.
- Staff (2014-02-07). "Jim Miller agrees to meet Bobby Green at UFC 172 in Baltimore". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- Jamie Penick (2014-04-20). "With Bobby Green injured, UFC 172 shakes up lightweight bouts with Miller-Medeiros and Ellenberger-Rocha now booked". mmatorch.com. Retrieved 2014-04-20.
- Brett Okamoto (2014-06-09). "Bobby Green-Abel Trujillo set". espn.go.com. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
- Erickson, Matt (2014-07-08). "After UFC 176 cancellation, Green-Trujillo, Formiga-Makovsky move to UFC Fight Night 47". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-08.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2014-07-11). "Green in for the Menace against Thomson". UFC.com. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Staff (2014-07-27). "Bobby Green defeats Josh Thomson". mmadecisions.com. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- Tom Ngo (2013-07-29). "Bobby Green battles Jorge Masvidal at UFC 178". 5thround.com. Retrieved 2014-07-29.
- "UFC 178 adds Donald Cerrone-Bobby Green, James Krause-Jorge Masvidal". MMAjunkie.com. August 14, 2014.
- Mookie Alexander (2013-08-19). "Eddie Alvarez to fight Donald Cerrone in UFC 178 co-main event". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- Dave Doyle (2014-09-24). "Bobby Green vs. Edson Barboza set to tangle in Texas UFC Fight Night card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-09-24.
- Gene Mrosko (2014-11-23). "UFC Fight Night 57 results: Bobby Green taunts Edson Barboza, gets kicked in the skull and loses decision". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-11-23.
- C.J. Tuttle (2015-01-18). "Bobby Green-Jorge Masvidal added to UFC Fight Night". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-01-18.
- Damon Martin (2015-01-22). "Bobby Green injured; Benson Henderson now faces Jorge Masvidal in Virginia". foxsports.com.com. Retrieved 2015-01-22.
- Dave Doyle (2015-04-26). "Al Iaquinta vs. Bobby Green announced for UFC Fight Night in San Diego". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-04-26.
- Ariel Helwani (2015-06-17). "Bobby Green out of Al Iaquinta fight due to injury". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-06-17.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2016-03-14). "Dustin Poirier vs. Bobby Green scheduled for UFC 199". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-03-14.
- Dave Doyle (2016-06-04). "UFC 199 results: Dustin Poirier knocks out Bobby Green for fouirth straight win". Retrieved 2016-06-05.
- Staff (2016-08-01). "Josh Burkman vs. Bobby Green added to UFC Fight Night 96 in Portland". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- John Morgan (2016-09-09). "Bobby Green withdraws from UFC Fight Night 96; UFC needs lightweight to face Josh Burkman". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-09-09.
- Brent Brookhouse (2016-09-20). "Zak Ottow in against Josh Burkman at UFC Fight Night 96". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- Staff (2017-03-29). "UFC on FOX 24 lineup set with 13 fights for promotion's debut in Kansas City". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-03-29.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-04-15). "UFC on FOX 24 results: Rashid Magomedov takes split decision over Bobby Green". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
- Jordan Breen (2017-08-14). "Abel Trujillo pulled; Lando Vannata now faces Bobby Green at UFC 216 on Oct. 7 in Las Vegas". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2017-08-14.
- "UFC 216 results: Point deduction turns Bobby Green vs. Lando Vannata into draw". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2017-10-08.
- "UFC 216 bonuses: Demetrious Johnson's late finish became his eighth UFC fight-night bonus". MMAjunkie. 2017-10-08. Retrieved 2017-10-08.
- "UFC adds 3 bouts to stacked Fight Night Charlotte card; tickets go on sale Friday". charlotteobserver. Retrieved 2017-12-15.
- "UFC on FOX 27 results: Bobby Green tops Erik Koch, wins for first time in more than three years". MMAjunkie. 2018-01-28. Retrieved 2018-01-28.
- Brian Martin (2018-02-01). "Beneil Dariush vs. Bobby Green set for UFC 222". ocregister.com. Retrieved 2018-02-01.
- "Bobby Green injured, out of UFC 222 fight with Beneil Dariush". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2018-02-15.
- "Clay Guida vs. Bobby Green slated for UFC 225". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- Phil Thompson (2018-04-17). "Round Lake's Clay Guida faces Bobby Green in UFC 225 battle of little bigmouths". chicagotribine.com. Retrieved 2018-04-17.