Bobby Joe Champion
|Bobby Joe Champion|
Champion at the 2012 Twin Cities Pride Parade
|Member of the Minnesota Senate|
from the 59th district
Assumed office |
January 8, 2013
|Preceded by||redrawn district|
|Member of the Minnesota House of Representatives|
from the 58B district
January 6, 2009 – Present
|Preceded by||Augustine Dominguez|
|Succeeded by||district redrawn|
December 17, 1963|
|Political party||Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party|
William Mitchell College of Law
Bobby Joe Champion (born December 17, 1963) is a Minnesota politician and member of the Minnesota Senate. A member of the Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party (DFL), he represents District 59, which includes portions of downtown and north Minneapolis in Hennepin County. He is also an attorney.
Early life, education, and career
Champion graduated from Minneapolis North High School, then went on to Macalester College in Saint Paul, receiving his B.A. in political science. He later received his J.D. from William Mitchell College of Law, also in Saint Paul. He worked as an assistant Minnesota attorney general under Hubert H. Humphrey III and Mike Hatch, and as an attorney for a legal rights center. He also worked with Flyte Tyme Productions and was co-founder and director of the Grammy-nominated Excelsior Choir. He was executive director of the Midwest Chapter of the National Association of Minority Contractors, and was program director for Social Spaces with Stairstep Initiative.
Minnesota House of Representatives
In November 2012, Champion was elected to the Minnesota Senate, defeating Republican Jim Lilly by a margin of 82%–18%. Champion was reelected to the Minnesota Senate in 2016, defeating challenger Jennifer Carnahan. 
- "Minnesota Legislators Past & Present - Legislator Record - Champion, Bobby Joe". Leg.state.mn.us. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "Project Vote Smart - Representative Bobby Joe Champion - Biography". Votesmart.org. 1963-12-17. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-13. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- "Election Results". kare11.com. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "Minnesota 59th District State Senate Results: Bobby Joe Champion Wins". NYTimes.com. 2017-08-01. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- Bobby Joe Champion at Minnesota Legislators Past & Present
- Senator Bobby Joe Champion official Minnesota Senate website
- Project Votesmart - Rep. Bobby Joe Champion Profile