|Full name||Robert Lloyd|
|Nickname||The Hafodyrynys Wonder|
|Died||18 January 1930
Robert "Bobby" Lloyd (c. 1888 – 18 January 1930) was a Welsh rugby footballer who represented his country in both rugby union and rugby league. He played union for Welsh clubs Pontypool and Monmouthshire County as a scrum half back, gaining selection for Wales before moving to England to play league for Halifax, also in the halves, and gaining selection for Great Britain and Wales.
Lloyd worked as a miner, and in 1912 was part of the Monmouthshire County team that faced the touring South Africans. Lloyd played well and gave the Springbok halves, Freddie Luyt and Uncle Dobbin a difficult match, though the tourists class shone through to win the game comfortably. A scrum-half, Lloyd was first capped for Wales in a winning game against Scotland on 1 February 1913. The game was played at Inverleith and both sides had a sparsity of international experience; though Wales were captained by the veteran Billy Trew. Lloyd played in the next six consecutive games in the 1913 and 1914 Five Nations Championships, which saw Wales finish second to England in both tournaments. Lloyd was a favourite at Pontypool and was one of the finest scrum-halves produced by the club.
International matches for Wales
Lloyd went north and in 1914 commenced playing for English Northern Rugby Football Union club, Halifax. He was selected to go on the 1920 Great Britain Lions tour of Australia and New Zealand. Lloyd won a cap for Great Britain while at Halifax in 1920 against Australia. Lloyd won a cap for Wales while at Halifax in 1921.
- Billot (1974), pg 76.
- Welsh Rugby Union[permanent dead link]
- Wales team visit Big Pit WRU news article
- Smith (1980), pg 468.
- Williams, Graham; Lush, Peter; Farrar, David (2009). The British Rugby League Records Book. London League. pp. 108–114. ISBN 978-1-903659-49-6.
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Billot, John (1974). Springboks in Wales. Ferndale, Glamorgan: Ron Jones Publications.
- Smith, David; Williams, Gareth (1980). Fields of Praise: The Official History of The Welsh Rugby Union. Cardiff: University of Wales Press. ISBN 0-7083-0766-3.