Bobby Wilson (baseball)
Wilson with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Texas Rangers – No. 8
April 8, 1983 |
|April 28, 2008 for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim|
(through August 19, 2015)
|Runs batted in||47|
Robert Louis "Bobby" Wilson (born April 8, 1983) is an American professional baseball catcher for the Texas Rangers of Major League Baseball (MLB). He has also played for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Arizona Diamondbacks and the Tampa Bay Rays.
Originally from Dunedin, Florida, Wilson attended Seminole High School. At Seminole High, Wilson was part of a team that won the state and national championship and finished an undefeated 31-0. Wilson then attended St. Petersburg College in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Los Angeles Angeles of Anaheim
Wilson began the 2008 season for the Salt Lake Bees, the Angels' Triple-A affiliate. He began the season hitting .339 in 16 games with no home runs and 12 RBI. On April 28, 2008, Wilson was recalled by the major league club and made his major league debut on that same day against the Oakland Athletics. He came in as a defensive replacement for Mike Napoli and in his first at-bat, hit a single off Dallas Braden.
On April 23, 2010, while playing catcher for the Angels against the New York Yankees, Wilson was involved in a head-on collision with Mark Teixeira, who was attempting to slide into home. Wilson was knocked away, injuring his head and ankle. Mike Napoli then came in and caught the remainder of the game.
Toronto Blue Jays
On October 22, 2012, Wilson was claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays. Pitcher Chad Beck was designated for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for Wilson. On November 30, the Blue Jays announced that they were not offering Wilson a contract for 2013, and he became a free agent.
New York Yankees
On December 13, 2012, the Yankees signed Wilson to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
Wilson signed a minor league contract with an invite to Spring Training with the Arizona Diamondbacks in October 2013. He declined a minor league assignment on October 12, becoming a free agent.
Tampa Bay Rays
On April 5, 2015, the Rays selected his contract from their Triple-A affiliate, the Durham Bulls. On June 14, the Rays sent him outright to Triple-A. He was called back up on July 29.
On July 31, 2015, Wilson was claimed off waivers by the Texas Rangers. In his debut with the Rangers, Wilson went 2-4 with 2 RBI against the San Francisco Giants.
- "Blue Jays claim C Wilson off waivers from Angels". TSN.ca. October 22, 2012. Retrieved October 22, 2012.
- "Blue Jays non-tender catcher Wilson". TSN.ca. December 1, 2012. Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- "Bombers Add Bobby Wilson as Catcher Depth for 2013". December 13, 2012. Retrieved December 15, 2012.
- Creech, Edward (October 12, 2014). "Minor Moves: Reimold, Wilson, Cedeno, Bianchi, Pagnozzi". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- "Rays sign 3 to minor league deals, complete trade". ESPN.com. Associated Press. December 12, 2014. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)