A Bobcat Bite Burger
|Food type||American, Southwestern|
|Street address||420 Old Las Vegas Highway|
|County||Santa Fe County|
The historic building that housed Bobcat Bite was originally a trading post. Later it became a gun shop until Rene Clayton and her daughter Mitzi Clayton/Panzer converted it into a restaurant. The Bobcat Bite has won many awards and has been featured in newspapers, television and other media as the place to go for a green chile cheeseburger. The name refers to accounts of bobcats coming down from the nearby foothills to visit "bobcat friendly" diners who would serve the animals fresh scraps.
Menu items include hamburgers, cheeseburgers, Bobcat Bite's famous Green chile Cheeseburger, chicken sandwiches, assorted grilled sandwiches, 10 oz. New York strip steak, a 15 oz. hamburger steak, pork chops, a 16 oz. ham steak and a 13 oz. rib eye steak.
The exterior of the restaurant is a pink adobe building with traditional Southwestern Native American style paintings of kachina like figures painted on each side of the door. The restaurant's famously tiny capacity only sits 24. At the entrance hangs a dry erase board where those waiting to dine must write down their party's name and size. As a table becomes available the name is erased and the party is invited to enter.
The inside of Bobcat Bite's walls are prominently decorated with pictures of wild bobcats. The restaurant offers unique hours, serving customers from 11:00 AM to 7:50PM mountain standard time Tuesday through Saturday.
Bobcat Bite was well known among citizens, visitors and tourists of Santa Fe, New Mexico, and has been featured in several articles, including those in the Albuquerque Journal, the Chicago Tribune, and The New York Times. Bobcat Bite also appeared in the 2004 documentary Hamburger America, and was mentioned in the Food Network's program, "Top American Restaurants: Bon Appétit picks the best", hosted by Alton Brown, in 2007. Bobcat Bite was featured in the 2012 episode "New Mexico" on Bizarre Foods America. Host Andrew Zimmern ranks it in his top 3 hamburgers.
Bobcat Bite's burgers - specifically the green chile cheeseburger, have won many local, national, and international awards.
- GQ magazine listed Bobcat Bite at #12 on its list of "The 20 Hamburgers You Must Eat Before you Die".
- The Santa Fe Reporter awarded Bobcat Bite with "Best Burger" in 2002, 2003, and 2004.
- Bobcat Bite. (2004, August 13). A Little History. Retrieved August 7, 2007, from http://www.bobcatbite.com/History.html
- Bobcat Bite. (2004, August 13). Menu. Retrieved August 7, 2007, from http://www.bobcatbite.com/menu.html
- Bobcat Bite in Santa Fe. (2009, September 10). iGo Eating. Retrieved December 9, 2009, from http://www.igoeating.com/2009/09/10/bobcat-bite-in-santa-fe.html
- Kriese, T. (Photographer). (2007). Bobcat Bite signup board [Online Image]. Retrieved December 9, 2009, from Flickr (https://www.flickr.com/photos/89804841@N00/1231098435)
- BR. (2003). Best Burger, You Crazy Meatpuppets. Sante Fe Reporter.
- Bobcat Bite - Santa Fe, NM. (Unknown last update) Yelp. Retrieved December 9, 2009, from http://www.yelp.com/biz/bobcat-bite-santa-fe
- Stern, Michael (2007-11-18). "Bobcat Bite - Santa Fe, NM". Roadfood.com. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- Bobcat Bite. (2009, December 2). Bobcat Bite. Retrieved December 9, 2009, from http://www.bobcatbite.com/
- Roberts, K. (2005, July 24). And, at No. 12, The Bobcat Bite At City Different. Albuquerque Journal, pp. B1, B4.
- Kogan, R. (2004, April 11). A Cultural Icon, With Cheese. Chicago Tribune Magazine, pp. 16, 24-26.
- Heffernan, V. (2005, July 4). A Journey in Burger Nation Finds Variations of a Theme. The New York Times, p. E13.
- Internet Movie Database. (Unknown Last Update). Hamburger America 2004. Retrieved August 7, 2007, from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0488835/
- Food Network. (Unknown Last Update). Top American Restaurants: Bon Appetit Picks the Best, Episode BASP03. Retrieved December 9, 2009 from http://www.foodnetwork.com/food-network-specials/top-american-restaurants-bon-appetit-picks-the-best/index.html
- GQ, July 2005.
- KW. (2002). Best Burger. Santa Fe Reporter.
- [Unknown Author]. (2004). Best Burger, Even Without the Bun. Sante Fe Reporter.