Okuneye Idris Olarenwaju
Bobrisky is a Nigerian Internet personality who is known as a prominent cross-dresser in Nigeria, a country with no LGBT rights. She is also known for her presence on social media app Snapchat.
Early life and education
Born Okuneye Idris Olarenwaju in 1992, Bobrisky finished her secondary school education from King's College, Lagos situated at Lagos State. She also attended graduate school at the University of Lagos, (UNILAG).
In May 2019, Bobrisky confirmed that her pronouns are "she" and "her" after receiving several misgendered comments on her instagram profile.
She became recognized by being highly controversial on social media for the ultra conservative Nigerian standards. Bobrisky was able to gather traffic to his Snapchat account when she claimed she had a lover who is assumed to be of masculine gender despite the law in Nigeria stating that same sex relationships is an offence punishable by serving 14 years in a penitentiary.
Bobrisky, by virtue of just existing, introduced into the Nigerian society a set of ethics and morals which are not aligned with the assumed social norm of the nation Nigeria. She has been received with mixed feelings as she has a fair number of fans and critics alike. On a notable occasion, a Nigerian presidential aide for reasons best known to her, walked out on sight of Bobrisky at the residence.
- Eric Dumo (February 18, 2017). "Cross-dressing: Nigeria's latest social media craze". The Punch.
- "Why Snapchat king Bobrisky is definitely Nigeria's Kim Kardashian". Nigerian Entertainment Today. 2017-01-18. Retrieved 2017-02-04.
- "Biography/Profile/History Of Nigerian male Barbie, Idris Okuneye aka 'Bobrisky'". Daily Media. 2016-10-20. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Nigeria's Barbie 'Bobrisky' Opens Up About His Life, Bae and Business". www.nigerianeye.com. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "How I Met Bae - Nigerian Male Barbie, Bobrisky". The Herald Nigeria. 2016-09-07. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Nigerians React to Bobrisky, Gay who got N7m and Mercedes From Lover". Naijanewsmag. 2016-08-23. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Throwback photos of "Male Barbie Doll" Bobrisky when he was arrested in 2011 for cross-dressing". Gist mp3bullet. 2016-09-01. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- Odunayo, Adams (2019-05-08). "If you don't want to be unfortunate, don't call me bro - Bobrisky warns". Legit.ng - Nigeria news. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "Nigeria passes law banning homosexuality". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- Abati, Reuben. "10 Nigerian celebrities who became famous for all the wrong reasons - Seun Joseph". Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Bobrisky: Before and After Photos of Nigeria's Famous Gender-Bender". Olisa Blogazine. 2016-09-01. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Watch Bobrisky speak at Abuja conference on how she became famous on social media". Nigeria Today. 2016-10-27. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- siteadmin (2016-10-26). "Nigeria's Presidential Aide Withdraws From New Media Conference After 'Male Barbie' Bobrisky Announced As Speaker". Sahara Reporters. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "I Won't Share The Same Podium With Bobrisky - Buhari's Media Aide". The Whistler. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "Nigerians are upset with BOBRISKY who is speaking at a conference in Abuja this week". Nigerian Entertainment Today. 2016-10-25. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "Bobrisky speaks at Abuja conference despite controversies [PHOTOS]". Daily Post Nigeria. 2016-10-27. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- Ade, Josh. "Bobrisky Is The Most Searched Personality on Google". olorisupergal.com.
- ""It's all a PR Stunt" – Bobrisky tells Vlogger 'Teefah in New VLog". Bella Naija.
- "Bobrisky, 'Africa's Male Barbie' dominates African Google Trend". Vanguard.
- Sanusi, Hassan. "Meet Bobrisky, the most popular Nigerian on Snapchat". TheNETng.
- Eze, Uche. "Bobrisky says he is starting up a Foundation to "assist the Government"". Bella Naija.
- Showemimo, Adebayo. "World Exclusive: My Bae, sex life and how I became BOBRISKY – Idris Okuneye tells Thenetng". TheNETng.
- "I love Bobrisky, I want to marry him, US based Nigerian declares". vanguardngr.com. VANGUARD.
- "Bobrisky biography: How had he become famous on Snapchat?". ask.naija.com. ASK NAIJ.
- Beauty is pain says Bobrisky
- Bobrisky’s saying bad stuff about me to get attention –Denrele