Bocas del Toro Archipelago
|Native name: |
Archipiéplago de Bocas del Toro
|Area||250 km2 (97 sq mi)|
|Province||Bocas del Toro Province|
|District||Bocas del Toro|
|Largest settlement||Bocas Town|
|Pop. density||24.85 /km2 (64.36 /sq mi)|
The Bocas del Toro Archipelago is a group of islands in the Caribbean Sea in the northwest of Panama. The archipelago separates Almirante Bay and Chiriquí Lagoon from the open Caribbean Sea. The archipelago is part of the Bocas del Toro District which is part of Bocas del Toro Province. The major city is Bocas del Toro, also called Bocas Town, on Isla Colón. The islands are accessible by water taxis and private boats. Isla Colón is accessible by airplanes, ferries, private boats, and water taxis. Bocas del Toro "Isla Colón" International Airport, located just west of Bocas Town, provides air transportation to and from the islands. Ferries serve Bocas Town from Almirante, Changuinola, and Chiriquí Grande.
The area of the archipelago is 250 km2 (97 square miles) which is about 60% of the districts area, and the population about 13000, which is 75% of the district's population.
Islands in the Archipelago include:
- Cayos Zapatilla
- Isla Bastimentos
- Isla Carenero (aka: Careening Cay or Careening Key)
- Isla Cayo Agua
- Isla Colón (main island)
- Isla Cristóbal
- Isla Popa
- Isla Solarte
- Isla Pastores
- Isla Bagui
The archipelago also includes 50 cays and some 200 tiny islets.
- Bocas del Toro (Bocas Town)
- Bastimentos (Isla Bastimentos)
- Salt Creek (Isla Bastimentos)
- Punta Laurel (Isla Bastimentos)
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)
- List of islands of Panama
- Atlantic Ocean
- Districts of Panama
- List of islands in the Caribbean: Panama
- BocasDelToro.com OFFICIAL WEBSITE - Everything about Bocas del Toro
- "Bocas del Toro, Panama". Bocas del Toro.org. Retrieved 17 March 2011.