Boddington Gold Mine
Boddington Gold Mine
|Opened||Original plant: 1987; Expansion Project: July 2009|
|Closed||Original plant: 2001|
The Boddington Gold Mine is a gold and copper mine located 13 km northwest of Boddington, Western Australia.
Partly owned by Normandy Mining (44.44%), Acacia Resources (33.33%) and Newcrest Mining (22.23%), the Normandy share was acquired by Newmont when it took over the company in 2002, while AngloGold took over Acacia.
A bedrock resource of almost 20 million ounces was identified and expansion of the facility to allow mining and processing of basement rock was approved in 2002. Construction on the expansion project began in May 2006. When it achieves full nameplate throughput, it will become Australia's largest gold mine.
On 29 January 2009, Newmont announced that it had raised $1.5 billion to acquire AngloGold's ownership position of 33% in the mine and thus became sole owner. Now fully owned by Newmont Mining, the mine reopened in 2009 after a major expansion project that increased the throughput to become Australia's largest gold mine.
In 2005, EPCM contract was warded to Clough. In 2006, the EPCM contract was awarded to Aker Kvaerner. In 2010, ThyssenKrupp Robins had set up the High Pressure Grinding Rolls using the drive system provided by ABB. The Environmental impact statement for the most recent expansion in 2013 was developed by Strategen Environmental Consultants. Macmohan was assigned for the gold mining operations.
The official startup was on 23 July 2009. The mine is estimated to have a 20-year life and will produce more than 1,000,000 ounces of gold per year. The official opening of the mine was on 3 February 2010, conducted by Western Australian Premier Colin Barnett.
Newmont Mining's first 1 million ounces at Boddington was achieved in March 2011.
|Year||Production||Grade||Cost per ounce|
|1999 ||231,695 ounces||0.89 g/t||A$ 332|
|2000 ||228,859 ounces||0.89 g/t||A$371|
|2001 ||227,171 ounces||0.97 g/t||A$376|
|Jan - Sep 2002 ||4,235 ounces|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Boddington Gold Mine.|
- Barnett to open Boddington Gold Mine ABC News, published: 3 February 2010, accessed: 9 February 2010
- The Australian Mines Handbook - 2003-04 Edition page: 71
- History of NCM Newcrest website, accessed: 27 January 2010
- "Boddington Gold Mine, Perth, Australia.". mining-technology.com. Retrieved 10 August 2009.
- "Boddington Gold-Copper Mine". digiscend.com. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "Western Australia's Boddington Project Commences". Newmont Mining Corporation. Retrieved 10 August 2009.
- "Newmont's million ounce monster". Mining News. 26 November 2009. Retrieved 18 December 2009.
- First Million Ounces Newmont website, accessed: 5 February 2013
- Boddington, Western Australia Newmont website, accessed: 20 December 2009