Rödberget Fort, part of Boden Fortress
|• Total||19.98 km2 (7.71 sq mi)|
|Elevation||46 m (151 ft)|
(31 December 2010)
|• Density||915/km2 (2,370/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code(s)||(+46) 921|
Boden is a locality and the seat of Boden Municipality in Norrbotten County, Sweden with 18,277 inhabitants in 2010. It is part of the larger area around coastal city Luleå some 36 kilometres (22 mi) southeast.
The town experienced increased growth when the Boden Fortress was constructed in the beginning of the 20th century. The purpose of the fortress was to defend Sweden from a possible attack from the east, where Russia was considered the most dangerous threat.
The first official writings about Boden, was in a 1500~ tax paper, where the mention of "Boden village" with 7 homes. Boden got the title of city in 1919. This title became obsolete in 1971 and Boden is now the seat of Boden Municipality.
Today (2007) Boden is still a military stronghold, and houses the largest garrison of the Swedish Army.
The army and the municipality are the two largest employers in Boden. As the military is continuously disarming, with the five regiments united into one garrison, the population has decreased by 2,000 people over the past ten years.
The famous Fällkniven knives are from Boden.
Well-known Boden citizens, former or current
- Peter Englund, author, historian, Permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy (2009-2015)
- Karl Fabricius, ice hockey player
- Stefan Gunnarsson, singer, piano player
- Eyvind Johnson, author, Nobel Prize winner in literature 1974
- Lennart Klockare, politician
- Daniel Larsson, ice hockey player
- Johanna Larsson, tennis player
- Elias Lindholm, ice hockey player
- Jonna Löfgren, drummer with Glasvegas
- Stig Strömholm, professor, rector magnificus
- Stig Sundqvist, football player
- Stig Synnergren, former Swedish Supreme Commander
- Sven Utterström, skier
- Niclas Wallin, ice hockey player
- Hans Wallmark, politician
- Brolle, Singer
- Tommy Johannson, singer, guitarist of the bands Reinxeed and Sabaton
Twin towns and sister cities
Boden is twinned with:
The following sports clubs are located in Boden:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Boden.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Boden.|
- "Tätorternas landareal, folkmängd och invånare per km2 2005 och 2010" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. 14 December 2011. Archived from the original on 10 January 2012. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Avstånd från Boden" (in Swedish). Avståndstabell.se. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "Altas vennskapsbyer" (in Norwegian). Alta municipality. Retrieved 26 April 2012.