Bodies of Water
|Bodies of Water|
Photo by Jennifer Jameson
|Origin||Los Angeles, California|
Bodies of Water is a band from the Highland Park neighborhood of Los Angeles, California, signed to independent record label Secretly Canadian. The core group consists of married couple David and Meredith Metcalf. However, the band often plays LA shows with five or more additional musicians, such as horn players, an additional drummer, and strings. All members of the band sing, including players added for local shows.
Bodies of Water's first EP and album was reviewed favorably by music critics such as Pitchfork Media and Rolling Stone magazine's New Music blog. Critics often compare their music to that of Ennio Morricone, Arcade Fire, The Mamas & the Papas, and label-mate Danielson. In interviews, the band lists gospel groups and Tropicalia musicians among its influences.
Bodies of Water's first full-length album Ears Will Pop & Eyes Will Blink was originally released on Bodies of Water's own Thousand Tongues label, and was only available in a few stores, at live shows, or directly from the band via their website. After Secretly Canadian signed Bodies of Water, the label re-released the album nationally on January 22, 2008.
The band's second album, titled A Certain Feeling, was released July 22, 2008 to generally favorable reviews.
- Ears Will Pop & Eyes Will Blink (Secretly Canadian, 2007)
- A Certain Feeling (Secretly Canadian, 2008)
- Twist Again (Thousand Tongues, 2011)
- Bodies of Water (2005)
A Certain Feeling
- "I Heard It Sound" (2007, Grant Wenzlau)
- "Under the Pines" (2009, Andy Bruntel)
- Bowers, William. "Record Reviews: Bodies of Water Ears Will Pop & Eyes Will Blink; pitchforkmedia.com Aug. 10, 2007 
- Breaking: The Rolling Stone New Music Blog "Breaking Artist: Bodies of Water" Jan. 2, 2008 
- Kelly, Jennifer. "Makes Some Waves: An Interview with Bodies of Water," PopMatters Aug. 8, 2007