Body Blows Galactic
|Body Blows Galactic|
|Programmer(s)||Cedric McMillan Jr.|
|Mode(s)||1 or 2 players|
Body Blows Galactic is a fighting game developed and published by Team17 in 1993 for the Amiga computers. It is a sequel to 1992's Body Blows. Opponents and background graphics from both games were later merged into the compilation release Ultimate Body Blows.
After winning the global martial arts tournament, Danny and Junior decide to take the universe further and challenge the meanest and toughest in an interplanetary competition to become the ultimate galactic warrior.
There are 12 different playable fighters from six worlds, and no bosses:
- Earth: Represented by Junior, a fast British boxer, and Danny, a gangland rebel (the Earth fighters are named after the Team17 game designer Daniel "Danny" J. Burke and programmer Junior McMillian). The arena is on the top of a rocket-propelled platform.
- Eclipse: Does not rotate but still revolve around its sun, therefore on one side of the planet it is very hot and the other side is freezing. Inferno is a pure existence of fire, while Warra is the fighting king in white amour of the ice world.
- Feminon: An Earth-type planet ruled by women, where men are only accepted as lesser beings. Represented by Azona, a blonde warrior who fights on her hover board, and Kai-Ti, a Psylocke-like brunette with the ability to focus her mind to shoot energy orbs. Fights are taking place in a water pit with waterfalls in the background.
- Miasma: After a moon-sized comet hit the planet, the inhabitants of Miasma survived as an individual energy mass (which is illustrated as blue energy orbs). Puppet chooses an appearances with yellow cones bound together with blue energy orbs and a Venetian mask as face. The ghost-like Phantom wears a brown robe and is able to disappear and appear on different places in the fight area.
- Gellorn-5: Consisting mainly of rainforest, dinosaurs are the dominant race of this planet. Dragon is a massive green creature using his brute strength to win the competition, while Dino is a Velociraptor-like creature with a small green rider on his back.
- Titanica: Is the most technologic advanced planet of all the others. Lazer wears a visor and is able to shoot laser triangles; Tekno, a full metal robot which is able to shoot rockets to his opponents.
A team of six people developed the game for about nine months. A slightly enhanced version was created for the AGA based Amiga 1200 which has several changes like more colorful backdrops and improved sound effects (by Steven and Gary Nicholas) and music.
Body Blows Galactic received mostly favorable reviews. Amiga Computing gave it a score of 93%, stating, "Quite honestly, Body Blows Galactic is the best beat'em up ever to be inserted into the drive of an Amiga." In a special comparison in Amiga Action, the game got a score of 84%, winning or drawing in the category "Atmosphere" and "Two Player Game" against Mortal Kombat and Elfmania. A dissenting review in CU Amiga gave it only a 57% critiqued unbalanced characters, saying that while Warra, Lazer and Dino are ineffective, the very fast Kai-Ti seems invincible. Other reviews gave the game the ratings 86% in ACAR, 90% in Amiga Dream, 91% in Amiga Force, 88% in Amiga Format, 83% in Amiga Joker, 72% in Amiga Power and 87% in The One. Matt Broughton of The One rated the "lovely in every way" Kai-Ti as the most attractive Amiga fighting game character in a 1995 article.
- The One Amiga 63 (December 1993).
- Amiga Computing 69 (January 1994).
- Amiga Action 53 (January 1994).
- CU Amiga 47 (January 1994).
- ACAR Vol 11 No 3 (March 1994).
- Amiga Dream 2 (December 1993).
- Amiga Force 14 (January 1994).
- Amiga Format 54 (Xmas 1993).
- Amiga Joker (December 1993).
- Amiga Power 33 (January 1994).
- The One Amiga 78 (April 1995).