Body of Proof
|Body of Proof|
|Created by||Christopher Murphey|
|Theme music composer||Daniel Licht|
|Composer(s)||Trevor Morris (season 3)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||42 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||42 minutes|
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Audio format||Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1|
|Original release||March 29, 2011– May 28, 2013|
Body of Proof is an American medical drama television series that ran on ABC from March 29, 2011, to May 28, 2013, and starred Dana Delany as medical examiner Dr. Megan Hunt. The series was created by Chris Murphey and produced by ABC Studios. The show was canceled by ABC after three seasons.
Overview and production
The series stars Dana Delany as Dr. Megan Hunt, a medical examiner. The show focuses on Hunt's efforts to balance the demands of her professional life, dealing with solving cases and analyzing bodies, with her personal life, trying to reconnect with her estranged daughter. Hunt was a top-flight neurosurgeon, until she had a life-changing automobile accident and then accidentally killed a patient on the operating table. This resulted in her resignation, and retirement from the profession altogether. Though set in Philadelphia, the first season of Body of Proof was filmed in Providence, Rhode Island and some other locations including Woonsocket and Warwick, Rhode Island. The Medical Examiner's office is actually the GTECH HQ / Providence Warwick Visitors Bureau and surrounding buildings superimposed on the real Philadelphia skyline. The series was originally titled Body of Evidence but was later renamed Body of Proof. It was announced that the second season of the show would be filmed in Los Angeles to take advantage of a $7 million tax credit. Body of Proof is the third ABC television series starring Dana Delany in a main character role, the first being the role of Colleen McMurphy in China Beach and the second being Katherine Mayfair in Desperate Housewives.
While filming, real life technical advisers made sure that the procedures were correct. Jeri Ryan said, "We've got technical advisers that will be with us on set, so we can keep all of the science realistic".
Cast and characters
- Dana Delany as Megan Hunt
- Jeri Ryan as Kate Murphy
- Geoffrey Arend as Ethan Gross
- Windell Middlebrooks as Curtis Brumfield
- Mary Mouser as Lacey Fleming
- Mark Valley as Tommy Sullivan (season 3)
- Elyes Gabel as Adam Lucas (season 3)
- John Carroll Lynch as Bud Morris (seasons 1-2)
- Sonja Sohn as Samantha Baker (seasons 1-2)
- Nicholas Bishop as Peter Dunlop (seasons 1-2)
- Jeffrey Nordling as Todd Fleming
- Joanna Cassidy as Joan Hunt
- Cliff Curtis as Derek Ames
- Nathalie Kelley as Dani Alvarez
- Jamie Bamber as Aiden Welles
- Luke Perry as CDC Officer/Health Commissioner Charlie Stafford
- Annie Wersching as Yvonne Kurtz
- Richard Burgi as District Attorney Dan Russell
- Lorraine Toussaint as Police Chief Angela Martin
- Marisa Ramirez as Officer Riley Dunn
- Micah Berkley as Officer James Wood
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired||Nielsen ratings|
|First aired||Last aired||Viewers (millions)||Rank|
|1||9||March 29, 2011||May 17, 2011||13.35||#13|
|2||20||September 20, 2011||April 10, 2012||9.89||#44|
|3||13||February 19, 2013||May 28, 2013||10.38||#34|
The show was set to premiere on Friday nights on ABC on October 22, 2010. However, following the quick cancellations of Thursday night drama My Generation and Wednesday night drama The Whole Truth, the network held back the series. The series premiered Tuesday, March 29, 2011, at 10:00 pm Eastern/9:00 pm Central, replacing Detroit 1-8-7. The last of its nine first season episodes aired May 17, 2011, four days after ABC renewed the series for a second season. The show's second season ran from September 20, 2011, to April 20, 2012, and had a total of 20 episodes, 4 of which were held over from the first season. On May 11, 2012, ABC officially renewed Body of Proof for a third season of 13 episodes. Season 3 premiered on Tuesday, February 19, 2013, at 10:00 pm Eastern/9:00 pm Central, and ended on May 28, 2013.
On May 10, 2013, in spite of improved ratings, Body of Proof was canceled by ABC after three seasons. Immediately after the cancellation news, there were reports that the series might be picked up by a cable television network, with TNT, USA Network and WGN America all showing interest. On May 23, 2013, a representative for ABC Studios confirmed that Body of Proof would not move to a new network.
On October 23, 2013, it was reported that the show may be revived for a fourth season by ABC due to much of the broadcaster's new slate under-performing. On November 11, 2013, Dana Delany confirmed that Body of Proof would not return for another season.
In Canada, Body of Proof is on City, simulcast with the ABC broadcast.
After the Italian world premiere, Body of Proof was scheduled to debut in other European countries before the American start.
In the United Kingdom, the series premiered on July 19, 2011, on Alibi, channel head Steve Hornsey said of picking up the series, "As TV's ultimate compendium of crime drama, Alibi aims to select the very best series in the genre from around the globe. Body of Proof is exactly that. A stand-out show that promises to be a huge hit in the US, Body of Proof means more premium and exclusive content for the channel – and more thrilling and engaging viewing for our audience." The series premiered on January 10, 2012 on Channel 5 and Channel 5+1 (Freeview / FTA).
In Latin America, the show was broadcast in 2011 by Sony Entertainment Television.
However, in Australia, Channel Seven is well known for unexpectedly changing time-slots, nights or not even finishing airing a show, almost always without advertising the said changes, as is the case for Body of Proof. This resulted in low rating for the show due to viewer frustrations.
In Germany, it premiered August 24, 2011, on ProSieben. On January 20, 2012, Season 2 premiered on sister station kabel eins. In Germany, the original episode 5 of season 2 aired as episode 10 of season 1 on ProSieben. In Poland, the series premiered on February 23, 2011, on Fox Life HD. In South Africa it premiered on December 8, 2011 on MNet.
In Ireland, the show premiered Saturday, March 10, 2012, on RTÉ1, at 11.15 pm.
In Brazil, the show premiered on January 10, 2013 on Sony Entertainment Television.
In Serbia it premiered on FoxLife.
|Season||Episodes||Title||DVD release dates|
|Region 1||Disc #||Region 2||Region 4||Disc #|
|1||9||The Complete First Season||September 20, 2011||2||13||November 5, 2012||13||August 15, 2012||3|
|2||20||The Complete Second Season||September 18, 2012||4||16||March 4, 2013||16||December 5, 2012||4|
|3||13||The Complete Third Season||June 18, 2013||3||13||November 11, 2013||TBA||TBA|
- The Region 2 + 4 DVDs of season 1 contain the episodes in production order, rather than the order they were aired in. This has resulted in them including 4 episodes which were filmed in season 1 but aired as part of season 2.
The show was met with mixed reviews: Metacritic summarizes the opinions of 21 critics in giving the show's first season a score of 56 out of 100. Entertainment Weekly included the show in the 10 TV events to look forward to in 2011.
Critic David Hinckley from the New York Daily News gave the show a positive review, noting it "would be interesting enough if it were just Quincy with better legs. Add the other elements and you have something worth checking out at 10 o'clock". Other reviews were more negative, commenting on the clichéd plot and character development. Las Vegas Weekly critic Josh Bell commented that "The problem is that Megan’s personal issues are as clichéd and clumsily presented as her boilerplate murder cases, and the show makes strained connections between the two that don’t really hold together." The Detroit News called it "saggy, predictable and preachy, the series debut was delayed for months and still doesn't have what it takes to impress viewers. What a poor replacement for Detroit 1-8-7." The Los Angeles Times said "Murphey and the writers will have to do a lot of heavy lifting for Body of Proof to transcend its immediate predictability. There's only so much Delany can do with a cardboard show. God may be in the details, but the walls still have to hold."
The series premiere (Tuesday, March 29, 2011) drew 14 million viewers. It finished in the top 10 in Nielsen ratings for the week, and was the second-most watched premiere of the 2010–11 season, following the CBS series Hawaii Five-0. ABC ran the second episode on Sunday April 3, 2011; it dropped to 8.5 million viewers. The third episode aired two days later and drew 11 million viewers; the show again won its time slot. The first season averaged 13.68 million viewers making it the second most-watched scripted drama on ABC.
|Season||Timeslot (EST)||Number of Episodes||Premiere||Finale||TV Season||Overall rank||18–49 rank||Overall viewership|
Awards and nominations
|Environmental Media Awards||Television Episodic Drama||Broken Home||Nominated|
- Seidman, Robert (May 17, 2011). "ABC 2011–12 Primetime Schedule Announced". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 22, 2011.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 10, 2013). "'Body of Proof' & 'Red Widow' Canceled by ABC". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Abrams, Natalie (May 11, 2010). "14 Promising Pilots: What New Fall Shows Look the Best?". TV Guide. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- "Evidence is in on Body of Proof". Providence Journal. March 31, 2011. Retrieved October 5, 2011.
- Verrier, Richard (May 23, 2011). "On Location: ABC's 'Body of Proof' TV drama moving to L.A. from Rhode Island". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- Jeffrey, Morgan (August 20, 2010). "Ryan: 'Star Trek helped with new role'". Digital Spy. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (July 28, 2012). "Mark Valley To Join 'Body Of Proof' As New Regular". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 29, 2012.
- MacKenzie, Carina (June 9, 2012). "'Body of Proof' Season 3: New characters join the detective team". Zap2It. Retrieved June 10, 2012.
- Richenthal, Matt (August 2, 2012). "Elyes Gabel Joins Shaken Up Body of Proof Cast". TV Fanatic. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- Roots, Kimberly (June 6, 2012). "Exclusive: John Carroll Lynch Exits Body of Proof, Joins NBC's Do No Harm as a Regular". TV Line. Retrieved June 6, 2012.
- Ausiello, Michael (June 7, 2012). "Body of Proof Mass Exodus Continues: Sonja Sohn and Nicholas Bishop Out". TV Line. Retrieved June 7, 2012.
- Goldberg, Lesley (June 7, 2012). "Two Stars Departing ABC's 'Body of Proof'". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 7, 2012.
- Ausiello, Michael (August 12, 2011). "Exclusive: Body of Proof Makes Fast and Furious Season 2 Hire". TV Line. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- Ausiello, Michael (October 17, 2011). "Body of Proof Exclusive: Battlestar Galactica's Jamie Bamber to Romance Dana Delany". TV Line. Retrieved June 6, 2012.
- Ross, Robyn (August 29, 2012). "24 Alum Heading to Body of Proof". TV Guide. Retrieved August 29, 2012.
- Roots, Kimberly (October 6, 2012). "Exclusive: Body of Proof Recruits Desperate Housewives' Richard Burgi". TV Line. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- Goldberg, Lesley (November 12, 2012). "'Body of Proof' Puts Lorraine Toussaint on the Case (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 13, 2012.
- Gorman, Bill (June 1, 2011). "2010–11 Season Broadcast Primetime Show Viewership Averages". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved July 30, 2011. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "season1" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Gorman, Bill (May 24, 2012). "Complete List Of 2011–12 Season TV Show Viewership: 'Sunday Night Football' Tops, Followed By 'American Idol,' 'NCIS' & 'Dancing With The Stars'". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved May 25, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (May 29, 2013). "Complete List Of 2012-13 Season TV Show Viewership: 'Sunday Night Football' Tops, Followed By 'NCIS,' 'The Big Bang Theory' & 'NCIS: Los Angeles'". TV by the Numbers.
- ABC Drama Filmed in R.I. Set to Premiere, Brown Daily Herald, September 16, 2010
- Is Dana Delany ABC's Best Hope This Fall?, Deadline Hollywood, October 8, 2010
- ABC's "Body of Proof" Gets Tuesday 10pm Timeslot, Premieres March 29, TV By the Numbers, November 30, 2010
- Body of Proof Renewed by ABC, TV By the Numbers, May 13, 2011
- Daniels, Colin (May 12, 2012). "'Private Practice', 'Scandal' renewed by ABC". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved May 12, 2012.
- Seidman, Robert (May 11, 2012). "Updated: Private Practice, 'Body of Proof' Renewed; 'Last Man Standing,' 'Scandal' & 'Apt 23' Renewed Too; 'GCB' Canceled". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved May 12, 2012.
- O'Connell, Michael (January 17, 2013). "ABC Shuffles 'Body of Proof' Season 3 Premiere for State of the Union". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- Jeffery, Morgan (May 14, 2013). "'Body of Proof': Axed series to be revived on cable?". Digital Spy. Retrieved May 14, 2013.
- Gennis, Sadie (May 14, 2013). "Will Body of Proof Move to Cable?". TV Guide. Retrieved May 14, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 14, 2013). "Will ABC's 'Body Of Proof' Find Cable Home?". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 14, 2013.
- Harnick, Chris (May 23, 2013). "'Body Of Proof' Over: ABC Series Not Moving To New Home". The Huffington Post. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- Munn, Patrick (October 23, 2013). "ABC's 'Body Of Proof' To Return For Fourth Season?". TV Wise. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Body Of Proof su FoxLife dal 25 gennaio (in America dal 29 marzo)" (in Italian). December 2, 2010.
- "FOX estrena 'El cuerpo del delito (Body of Proof), la serie de Dana Delaney, antes que en EEUU" (in Spanish). December 27, 2010.
- "1tvru – Премьера на Первом. Сериал "Следствие по телу"". LiveJournal. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- Wightman, Catriona (October 15, 2010). "Alibi picks up 'Body Of Proof' in the UK". Digital Spy. Retrieved June 22, 2011.
- von Uwe Mantel (January 19, 2012). "kabel eins erbt "Body of Proof" von ProSieben". DWDL.de (in German). Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- Canel, Seba (July 1, 2011). "Body of Proof – Ex-Housewife Dana Delany hat einen Deutschland Start. Los geht’s Ende August.". Serien-Load (in German). Retrieved July 3, 2011.
- "Chance to win Body of Proof goodies". RTÉ News. March 5, 2012.
- (fr) Body of proof : la nouvelle série de Dana Delany dès le 14 mars sur M6. Retrieved March 15, 2013
- Body of Proof started broadcasting on Albanian Screen : http://webtv.albanianscreen.tv/pages/sE_shpejti/provat_e_trupit/ALB
- "Body of Proof – The Complete 1st Season". TvshowsonDVD. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- "Body of Proof-Season 1". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- "Body of Proof – The Complete 1st Season". Ezy DVD. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- Lambert, David (May 4, 2012). "Body of Proof – 'The Complete 2nd Season' DVDs Get a Date, Extras, Finalized Packaging". TV Shows on DVD. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "Body of Proof Season 2 [DVD]". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- "Body Of Proof: The Complete 2nd Season". Ezy DVD. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- Seidman, Robert (May 11, 2012). "Updated: Private Practice, 'Body of Proof' Renewed; 'Last Man Standing,' 'Scandal' & 'Apt 23' Renewed Too; 'GCB' Canceled". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved May 11, 2012.
- Lambert, David (March 29, 2013). "Body of Proof - Release Date is Revealed for Dana Delany's 'Complete 3rd Season'". TVShowsOnDVD. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Body of Proof - Season 3 [DVD]". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "Body of Proof – Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- Tucker, Ken (January 1, 2011). "10 TV events to look forward to in 2011". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- Hinckley, David (March 29, 2011). "ABC's 'Body of Proof' is network's strongest new show with Dana Delany at helm as Dr. Megan Hunt". Daily News. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- Bell, Josh (March 23, 2011). "TV review: 'Body of Proof'". Las Vegas Weekly. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- Toby, Mekeisha Madden (March 29, 2011). "Dana Delany, 'Body of Proof' prove a poor pairing". The Detroit News. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- McNamara, Mary (March 29, 2011). "'Body of Proof': television review". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- "ABC Wins Tuesday as "Body of Proof" Opens Big". The Futon Critic. March 30, 2011. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- "ABC's 'Body of Proof' Makes Strong First Showing". ABCNews.com. April 5, 2011. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- "TV ratings: CBS tops Tuesday, 'Body of Proof' down but still leads hour". Zap2It. April 6, 2011. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (June 13, 2011). "'Modern Family' Tops DVR Ratings Gain for the 2010–11 Season; 'Fringe' Has Biggest % Increase By DVR". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved June 20, 2011.
- Gorman, Bill (March 30, 2011). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'Body Of Proof,' 2x 'Dancing With The Stars,' 'NCIS,' 'Biggest Loser' Adjusted Up". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- Seidman, Robert (May 18, 2011). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'Breaking In,' 'The Good Wife,' 'Body of Proof' Adjusted Down; 'NCIS,' 'NCIS: LA,' 'Glee,' 'The Biggest Loser' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- Seidman, Robert (September 21, 2011). "Tuesday Finals: 'New Girl,' 'Glee,' 'NCIS,' DWTS Results Adjusted Up; 'Body of Proof' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 22, 2011.
- Bibel, Sara (April 11, 2012). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'New Girl', 'NCIS: Los Angeles', 'Last Man Standing' Up; 'Raising Hope', 'Ringer', 'Biggest Loser' Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 11, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (February 20, 2013). "TV Ratings Tuesday: 'NCIS' Down But Wins Night, 'New Girl', 'Smash' & 'Go On' Fall, 'Cult' & 'Body of Proof' Debut Low". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- "Tuesday TV Show Ratings: Body of Proof, The Voice, Brooklyn DA, Extreme Weight Loss". TV Series Finale. May 29, 2013. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- "21st Annual Environmental Media Awards". Environmental Media Association. Retrieved 28 July 2012.