|Single by Radiohead|
|from the album In Rainbows|
|B-side||"House of Cards"|
|Writer(s)||Colin Greenwood, Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien, Phil Selway, Thom Yorke|
|Radiohead singles chronology|
"Bodysnatchers" is a song by the English rock band Radiohead, released as the second single from their seventh studio album In Rainbows (2007) in May 2008. The song was initially released alongside the song "House of Cards" as a promotional single in the United Kingdom. "Bodysnatchers" was later officially serviced to United States modern rock radio by ATO Records in May 2008. It subsequently peaked at number eight on the Billboard Hot Modern Rock Tracks chart, their highest-placing song on the chart since "Creep" in 1993.
"Bodysnatchers" was recorded in one live take at a dilapidated mansion. In Rainbows producer Nigel Godrich thought that throwing the band into an "uncomfortable" situation would create an interesting atmosphere for the recording sessions, not unlike the OK Computer sessions that took place at the St. Catherine's Court mansion in Bath, Somerset. The band lived in caravans surrounding the mansion while the recordings were taking place. Lead singer Thom Yorke has described the song as "a little bit like Neu! meets dodgy hippy rock. It sounds like that new Australian band Wolfmother." He later stated that "Bodysnatchers" was inspired by Victorian ghost stories, The Stepford Wives and his own feeling of "your physical consciousness trapped without being able to connect fully with anything else." Yorke and Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood debuted "Bodysnatchers" in May 2006 at their performance for The Big Ask at KOKO in London.
In preparation for the physical release of In Rainbows, ATO Records and sister label Side One Recordings serviced "Bodysnatchers" as a single from the album to American radio stations. ATO was subsequently chosen as the band's official record label for American releases. The track gained substantial airplay on modern rock radio stations and subsequently peaked at number eight on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart in February 2008. "Bodysnatchers" became Radiohead's highest-charting song on the chart since "Creep" peaked at number two in 1993.
- Promotional CD-R single
- "House of Cards" (radio edit) – 4:35
- "Bodysnatchers" – 4:01
- Thom Yorke - vocals, guitar
- Colin Greenwood - bass
- Jonny Greenwood - guitar, ondes Martenot
- Ed O'Brien - guitar, backing vocals
- Phil Selway - drums
|US Modern Rock Tracks (Billboard)||8|
- Kent, Nick (August 2007). "Ghost In The Machine". Mojo. London. Retrieved 10 November 2007.
- Pareles, Jon (9 December 2007). "Pay What You Want for This Article". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- Plagenhoef, Scott (9 October 2007). "Pitchfork's Guide to Radiohead's In Rainbows". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- Ferguson, Tom (8 November 2007). "New Radiohead Album Due Dec. 31 On CD". Billboard. New York. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- Cohen, Jonathan (12 November 2007). "Radiohead Sets U.S. Deal For New Album Release". Billboard. New York. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- "Over The 'Rainbows'". Billboard. New York. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- "Radiohead – Chart History: Alternative Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- "Radiohead Bodysnatchers / House Of Cards UK Promo CD-R acetate (438803)". EIL. Retrieved June 30, 2013.