Boggle (Dungeons & Dragons)
The boggle appeared in the third edition Monster Manual II (2002).
The boggle appeared in the fifth edition Volo's Guide to Monsters (2016).
A boggle is a 3-foot tall, vaguely humanoid creature with skin color that varies from blackish-blue to dark gray. Boggles all have large, bulbous heads, but the rest of their body parts are disproportionate in size and length and vary from individual to individual. Their bodies are partially elastic, and they may stretch up to twice their length or contract to one-half their size. A boggle secretes a viscous black oily substance from its pores, and creatures treading on the oil can fall down on the slick surface it creates. A boggle can reach through a hole and appear magically through any complete frame (another hole, a door frame, grillwork, between someone’s legs), and can use this ability to grab or strike at an opponent.
- Johnson, Harold, and Tom Moldvay. Secret of the Slavers' Stockade (TSR, 1981)
- Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual II (TSR, 1983)
- Pickens, Jon, ed. Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Two (TSR, 1995)
- Bonny, Ed, Jeff Grubb, Rich Redman, Skip Williams, and Steve Winter. Monster Manual II (Wizards of the Coast, 2002)
- Sterling Hershey, Brian R. James, Matt James, Steve Townshend. Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale (Wizards of the Coast, 2011)