Bogislaw XIII, Duke of Pomerania
|Bogislaw XIII, Duke of Pomerania|
Duke Bogislaw XIII of Pomerania
|Spouse(s)||Clara of Brunswick-Lüneburg
Anna of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg
|Noble family||House of Griffins|
|Father||Philip I, Duke of Pomerania|
|Mother||Maria of Saxony|
|Born||9 August 1544|
|Died||7 March 1606
Bogislaw XIII (Bogusław XIII) of Pomerania (9 August 1544 – 7 March 1606, Stettin; Polish: Szczecin), son of Philip I and Maria of Saxony, was a prince of Stettin and Wolgast, and a member of the Griffins.
Bogislaw studied at the University of Greifswald at the age of 14. At first, he was co-regent with his brother Johann Friedrich of Pomerania-Wolgast, but in 1569 he settled with control over Barth and Neuenkamp. There, he founded a printing house in 1582, publishing in 1588 the "Barther Bible", a bible in the Low German language, as translated by Johannes Bugenhagen. In 1587 he founded Franzburg to compete with Stralsund.
From 1603 until his death, he ruled in Pomerania-Stettin, which he inherited under the Inheritance Treat of Jasenitz of 1509 in case his two brothers John Frederick (d. 1600) and Barnim X (d. 1603) would both die childless. He kept his residence in Barth, and his eldest son, Philip II, acted as governor in Stettin.
He is remembered as a wise ruler, knowledgeable in the areas of economics and governance.
He married twice: first to Clara of Brunswick-Lüneburg, daughter of Francis, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, then to Anna of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg, daughter of John II, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg. He had eleven children, among which, from his first marriage:
- Philip II
- Bogislaw XIV, the last ruling duke of Pomerania
- George II, Duke of Pomerania
- Ulrich, Duke of Pomerania
- Anna de Croy, the last member of the dynasty
|This section does not cite any sources. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Ancestors of Bogislaw XIII, Duke of Pomerania|
- Werner Buchholz (ed.): Deutsche Geschichte im Osten Europas. Pommern. Siedler Verlag, Berlin 1999, ISBN 3-88680-272-8, pp. 216, 233.
- Martin Wehrmann: Geschichte von Pommern, 2d ed., vol. 2, Verlag Andreas Perthes, Gotha, 1921. Reprinted: Weltbild Verlag, Augsburg, 1992, ISBN 3-89350-112-6.
- 17th century sources, in German
- Family tree
- Marek, Miroslav. "Bogislav XIII, Duke of Pomerania-Barth (1560-1606), *9.8.1544, +Stettin 7.3.1606". Genealogy.EU.
Bogislaw XIII, Duke of PomeraniaBorn: 9 August 1544 Died: 7 March 1606
|Dukes of Pomerania-Wolgast
altogether under tutelage until 1567
with his brothers Ernest Louis (1560–1592)
John Frederick (1560–1569)
Barnim X (1560–1569)
|New division||Duke of Pomerania-Barth
|Duke of Pomerania-Rügenwalde (Darłowo)
George II and
|Duke of Pomerania-Stettin