Bognor Regis and Littlehampton (UK Parliament constituency)
|Bognor Regis and Littlehampton|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Bognor Regis and Littlehampton in West Sussex for the 2010 general election
Location of West Sussex within England
|Population||98,433 (2011 census)|
|Electorate||70,535 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Bognor Regis, Felpham and Littlehampton|
|Member of Parliament||Nick Gibb (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
Bognor Regis and Littlehampton (Contemp. RP) /ˈbɒɡnə ɹʷiːd͡ʒɪs ænd lɪtl̩hæmptn̩/, /-æmtn̩/ is a constituency[n 1] represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament since its creation in 1997 by Nick Gibb of the Conservative Party.[n 2]
Boundaries and constituency profile
1997-2010: The District of Arun wards of Aldwick East, Aldwick West, Bersted, Felpham East, Felpham West, Hotham, Littlehampton Beach, Littlehampton Central, Littlehampton Ham, Littlehampton River, Littlehampton Wick, Marine, Middleton on Sea, Orchard, Pagham, and Pevensey.
2010–present: The District of Arun wards of Aldwick East, Aldwick West, Beach, Bersted, Brookfield, Felpham East, Felpham West, Ham, Hotham, Marine, Middleton-on-Sea, Orchard, Pagham and Rose Green, Pevensey, River, Wick with Toddington, and Yapton.
The constituency has a diverse economy. Small-scale agriculture, manufacturing, and trades make up most of the local economy, supplemented by services and tourism.
The population of the constituency is a mixture of young families, supporting the constituency's sporting facilities, public services, golf courses and general domestic spending. People in retirement are also a notable demographic, who have moved to the coast from London and other British urban areas to live by the South Coast of England.
Immediately prior to this seat's creation in 1997, the two eponymous towns were part of the Arundel constituency. Prior to 1974, Bognor Regis was part of the Chichester constituency, while Littlehampton was part of the Arundel and Shoreham constituency.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Francis Oppler|
|Liberal Democrats||Francis Oppler||3,352||6.5||-2.5|
|Liberal Democrats||Francis Oppler||4,240||9.0||−14.5|
|Liberal Democrats||Simon McDougall||11,024||23.5||+1.6|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Simon McDougall||8,927||21.9||+4.3|
|Liberal Democrats||Pamela Peskett||6,846||17.6||−6.4|
Elections in the 1990s
|Labour||Roger A. Nash||13,216||28.5||+15.0|
|Liberal Democrats||James M.M. Walsh||11,153||24.0||−2.7|
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in West Sussex
- Opinion polling for the next United Kingdom general election in individual constituencies
Notes and references
- "Bognor Regis and Littlehampton: Usual Resident Population, 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 31 January 2015.
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Local statistics - Office for National Statistics". neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 4)
- "Liberal Democrat Parliamentary Candidates". Mark Pack. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Arun District Council Archived August 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Election result, 2005 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 - 2001 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1997 - 2005 (Guardian)
- nomis Constituency Profile for Bognor Regis and Littlehampton — presenting data from the ONS annual population survey and other official statistics.