Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology
Bogomoletz Institute administrative building
|Founder(s)||Alexander A. Bogomolets|
|Owner||National Academy of Science of Ukraine|
Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology of NAS of Ukraine (BIPH) is a scientific institution dedicated to biomedical research in the fields of physiology, biophysics, pathophysiology, neuroscience. It is a leading research center in Ukraine for neuroscience, electrophysiology and cardiovascular diseases.
Predecessors of BIPH were Institute of clinical physiology of Academy of Sciences of Ukrainian SSR (established May 9, 1934) and Institute of experimental biology and pathology of Ministry of Health of Ukrainian SSR (established 1930). Both institutions were led by Ukrainian and Soviet physiologist Alexander A. Bogomolets, who was also president of Academy of Sciences of Ukrainian SSR.
Institutions were united in 1953 and named after Bogomolets.
BIPH became a world-famous center for cellular physiology under his long-standing director Platon Kostiuk who was in charge in 1966-2010. Kostiuk and his students were first to measure calcium currents through neuron soma, distinguish between low-voltage activated calcium channels and high-voltage ones, discover ATP-receptors and ASIC-mediated currents.
Since 2011 Oleh Kryshtal is the director of BIPH.
There are several peer-reviewed journals published by the Institute.
Since 1955 "Fiziologychnyi Zhurnal" (for Ukrainian "Physiological Journal") is published. Its first editor was Ivan Pavlov's student Georgiy Volbort. Abstracts of articles are present in PubMed and MEDLINE databases.
Since 1969 "Neurophysiology" journal was established by Platon Kostiuk, which was the first scientific journal dedicated to neuroscience in Soviet Union (ISSN 0028-2561). It was translated into English by Plenum Publishing Corp. (ISSN 0090-2977)
- Протокол засідання Президії В.У.А.Н. від 9 травня 1934 р.
- Распоряжение Совета Министров СССР от 14 января 1953 г. № 839-р, Москва
- P. G. Kostyuk, O. A. Krishtal and Yu A. Shakhovalov (September 1, 1977). "Separation of sodium and calcium currents in the somatic membrane of mollusc neurones". The Journal of Physiology. 270: 545–568.
- Richard W. Tsien and Curtis F. Barrett (2005), "A Brief History of Calcium Channel Discovery", in Gerald Zamponi (ed.), Voltage-Gated Calcium Channels (PDF), Eurekah.com and Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, pp. 27–47
- International Journal of Physiology and Pathophysiology. Begell House
- Н. С. Веселовский; Ю. П. Лиманский; А. Н. Шевкр (2009). "Институт физиологии им. А. А. Богомольца НАН Украины - флагман исследований молекулярной и клеточной физиологии мозга (к 75-летию основания института)" (PDF). Нейрофизиология/NEUROPHYSIOLOGY. 41 (2): 99–112.