|Irish Grid Reference|
Bohola (Irish: Both Chomhla, meaning "Comhla's cell") is a village, in the barony of Gallen, County Mayo, Ireland located along the N5 national primary road, which gives its name to the parish of Bohola. It consists of 2 pubs, a post office and a Catholic church. The village is located near Lough Conn.
People living in the Parish of Bohola play Gaelic Football with "Bohola Moy Davitts". Bohola Moy Davitts is an amalgamated team consisting of Straide, Foxford and Bohola. Among the teams achievements are its "Feile Doire 2010" All-Ireland title.
People from Bohola
Martin Sheridan achieved fame in the United States for his accomplishments in track and field during St. Louis, Athens and London Olympiads in the early part of the 20th century was born in Bohola on 28 March 1881. Former New York City Mayor and US Ambassador to Mexico William O'Dwyer and his brother, a humanitarian, lawyer, and politician, Paul O'Dwyer are also natives of the village, as is prominent civil rights attorney Frank Durkan, also of New York, a nephew of the O'Dwyers.. Dundalk F.C. player John Mountney hails from the village as does Bridie (née McNicholas) Staunton, the mother of Imelda Staunton famous for roles in Vera Drake (2004), Nanny McPhee (2005) and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007).
Brendan Shine wrote a song called "Three Pubs in Bohola". The three pubs listed by Shine were McDonagh's, Clarke's and Roche's; however, locals will be the only ones who would be able to confirm the accuracy of his lyrics.
Since the song was written Clarke's has closed and Roche's is now The Village Inn.
- "Census 2016 Sapmap Area: Settlements Bohola". Central Statistics Office (Ireland). Retrieved 10 July 2018.
- "Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F1QM-ZMK : 4 December 2014), BIRTHS entry for Francis P Durkan; citing Swineford, Jul - Sep 1930, vol. 4, p. 283, General Registry, Custom House, Dublin; FHL microfilm 101,231.
- Bohola, County Mayo
- bohola The Band
- A user driven index of 96 of the 1,391 memorials in Bohola Cemetery.
- A comprehensive index of Bohola Cemetery (St Josephs), County Mayo, Ireland Several memorials in this cemetery have been photographed. Work is on-going in that respect.
- A comprehensive index of Bohola Old Cemetery, County Mayo, Ireland All memorials in this cemetery have been photographed.