Bohra Ganesh Temple
|Bohra Ganesh Temple|
Bohra Ganesh Temple is a very old and famous temple of Lord Ganesh, situated near Mohanlal Sukhadia University in Udaipur. Having a standing statue of Lord Ganesh at the center, this temple is visited by thousands of devotees every week.
The Bohra Ganesh Temple is located on the Bohra Ganesh Road, near the Govt. Ahad Museum near Dhoolkot area in Udaipur. At the center of this temple, there is an east facing idol of the Lord is in a dancing posture. This temple earns the same respect in Udaipur, as the Moti Dungari temple in Jaipur.
Ganesh Chaturthi Celebration
Ganesh Chaturthi, the Hindu festival celebrated in honor of Lord Ganesha, is celebrated as an auspicious event at Bohra Ganesh Temple. On this auspicious day, temple is open from midnight till early morning, and witnesses around 2 - 2.5 lakh disciples visiting the temple.
Govardhan Puja or Annakoot, celebrated just after Diwali, is an auspicious event at Bohra Ganesh Temple. On this day, devotees offer 'Chappan Bhog' (meaning 56 dishes) to the deity at Bohra Ganesh Ji Temple. A ritual called 'Aangi' is performed at early dawn, followed by the Chappan Bhog feast offers to Lord Ganesha. In the evening, priests performs the 'Maha Aarti' (meaning great worship), and then offers 'Prasad' to the devotees.
Bohra Ganesh Temple is believed to be about 350 years old. Originally named as 'Borganesh', the temple was built outside the then city boundary of Udaipur. But since then, due to expansion of city boundaries, this area now falls within under the city limits. Now the entire area is also known as Bohra Ganesh. This new name of this temple also has an interesting story behind. It is believed that 70–80 years ago people who needed money for purposes like marriage and business would write the requirement on a slip of paper and leave it before the idol. Soon he would get the amount needed, but in turn they had to return the amount with interest. In India, it is generally the Bohra cast which is involved in business of lending money. For this reason, Lord Ganesh here got named as Bohra Ganesh. However, it is also a common belief that devotees with real trust on Bohra Ganesh also get their wishes fulfilled.
Access and Timings
Visit timings for this temple are as follows:
- Monday - Friday: 6.00 AM - 8.00 PM
- Saturday: 6.00 AM - 8.00 PM
- Sunday: 6.00 AM - 8.00 PM
- Public Holidays: 6.00 AM - 8.00 PM
- "Famous Temples In and Around Udaipur". udaipurblog.com. UdaipurBlog. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- "GANESH TEMPLES IN UDAIPUR". thetimesofudaipur.com. The Times Of Udaipur. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- "Ganpati Bappa Morya..!!". udaipurtimes.com. udaipurtimes.com. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- "Chappan Bhog at Bohra Ganesh Ji". udaipurtimes.com. UdaipurTimes.com. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- "Distance between Bohra Ganeshji and Udaipur (city center)". distancebetweencities.co.in. distancebetweencities.co.in. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- "Bohra Ganesh Ji Temple". holidayiq.com. HolidayIQ.com. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
|This article about an Indian Hindu place of worship is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|