Boi (plural: bois) is slang within LGBT and butch and femme communities for a person's sexual or gender identities. In some lesbian communities, there is an increasing acceptance of variant gender expression, as well as allowing people to identify as a boi. The term boi may be used to denote a number of other sexual orientations and possibilities that are not mutually exclusive:
- A boyish lesbian.
- A submissive butch in the BDSM community.[dead link]
- A young trans man, or a trans man who is in the earlier stages of transitioning.[dead link]
- A younger bisexual or gay person who may have effeminate characteristics. The term can also be used by anyone who wishes to distinguish from heterosexual or heteronormative identities.[dead link]
Boi may also refer to someone assigned female at birth, who generally does not identify as, or only partially identifies as feminine, female, a girl, or a woman. Some bois are trans or intersex people. Some "bois" identify as one or more of these, but they almost always identify as lesbians, dykes, or queer. Many trans bois are also genderqueer/nonbinary (in itself a trans/transgender group), or might identify as cis persons or trans men, and yet practice genderfuck in which they do not fit in either masculine or feminine binary gender presentation. Bois may prefer a range of pronouns, including "he", "she", or nonbinary and gender-neutral pronouns such as "they".
- Meredith Maran; Angela Watrous (2005). 50 Ways to Support Lesbian & Gay Equality: The Complete Guide to Supporting Family, Friends, Neighbors — or Yourself . New World Library. ISBN 1-930722-50-8.
- Levy, Ariel (2006). Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 0-7432-8428-3.
- Ilyasova, K. Alex (November 2006). "Dykes on Bikes and the Regulation of Vulgarity". International Journal of Motorcycle Studies.
- Epstein, Debbie; Richard Johnson (1998). "Schooling Sexualities". Buckingham: Open University Press. p. 19.
- Linden, Merritt (27 February 2008). "Radical to Raunch: Articulating and Anticipating Contemporary Lesbian Feminism — An Analysis of Levy's Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture". Utrecht University.
- Curzan, Anne (2003). Gender Shifts in the History of English. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-82007-3.
- "Definition of 'boi'". Collins English Dictionary. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
in British ... a lesbian who adopts a boyish appearance or manner
- Crain, Chris (November 22, 2007). "Who's The Fairest Twink Of Them All?". San Francisco Bay Times. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- Faderman, Lillian; Stuart Timmons (2006). Gay L.A.: A History of Sexual Outlaws, Power Politics, and Lipstick Lesbians. Basic Books. ISBN 0-465-02288-X.
- "Boi or grrl? Pop culture redefining gender". MSNBC. October 1, 2005. Retrieved May 15, 2018. Published October 1, 2005.
|Look up boi in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|