|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||November 17, 1920|
|• Mayor||Armand Hubert|
|• Federal riding||Pontiac|
|• Prov. riding||Gatineau|
|• Total||74.20 km2 (28.65 sq mi)|
|• Land||74.55 km2 (28.78 sq mi)|
|There is an apparent contradiction between two authoritative sources|
|• Density||6.0/km2 (16/sq mi)|
|• Pop (2006–11)||0.4%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Postal code(s)||J9E 3A9|
Bois-Franc is a municipality in the La Vallée-de-la-Gatineau Regional County Municipality, Quebec, Canada, 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) north of Maniwaki. Its territory is along the western shores of the upper Gatineau River.
The adjective franc has its origin in the western regions of France and means excellent, good, strong, solid, hard. Therefore the name Bois-Franc can be translated as "hardwood" and is a reference to magnificent stands of hardwoods found within the municipality, including beech, ash, maple and birch.
Its first European settlers came in 1870. Its post office, named Bois-Franc, opened in 1886. In 1920, the Municipality of Bois-Franc was founded when it separated from the Egan Municipality Township.
Its primary industry is logging and forestry. Industrial Park "Réjean Lafrenière" is home to the oriented strand board factory Louisiana-Pacific Canada ltd. Division Quebec; one of the largest plants of its kind in North America.
- Population in 2011: 447 (2006 to 2011 population change: -0.4 %)
- Population in 2006: 449
- Population in 2001: 422
- 2001 to 2006 population change: 6.4%
- Population in 1996: 425
- Population in 1991: 437
Private dwellings (occupied by usual residents): 196
- French as first language: 96%
- English as first language: 2%
- Other as first language: 2%
- Reference number 6639 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (in French)
- Geographic code 83085 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (in French)
- "(Code 2483085) Census Profile". 2011 census. Statistics Canada. 2012.
- "Bois-Franc (Municipalité)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2008-09-10.
- "Bois-Franc" (in French). MRC de La Vallée-de-la-Gatineau. Retrieved 2008-09-10.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census