Boise, Portland, Oregon
Historic Mississippi business district street sign topper in the Boise Neighborhood
Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|• Association||Boise Neighborhood Association|
|• Coalition||Northeast Coalition of Neighborhoods|
|• Total||0.43 sq mi (1.12 km2)|
|• Density||7,200/sq mi (2,800/km2)|
|• No. of households||1168|
|• Occupancy rate||90% occupied|
|• Owner-occupied||525 households (45%)|
|• Renting||643 households (55%)|
|• Avg. household size||2.67 persons|
Boise is a neighborhood in the North and Northeast sections of Portland, Oregon. It is approximately bounded by Interstate 5 on the west, N Skidmore St. on the north, NE Rodney Ave. on the east, and N Kerby St. and NE Fremont St. on the south. The southern portion of N Mississippi Ave. forms the commercial core of the area. The neighborhood was named in honor of Reuben P. Boise, a Portland School Board member during the 1850s.
In the mid-20th century, Boise residents included a high percentage of African Americans, relative to other Portland neighborhoods. This changed rapidly in the 2000s. The 2000 Census recorded 48% of the population identifying as Black or African American, either alone or mixed with another race. By the time of the 2010 Census, this number had fallen to 26.6%, largely supplanted by Whites. This demographic change has accompanied rapid development and gentrification in the neighborhood.
- Demographics (2000)
-  Boise-Eliot Community Garden, Portland Parks & Recreation
- "2000 and 2010 Census Profile: Boise". 2010 Census Data for Portland Neighborhoods. City of Portland. p. 3. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- http://boisevoice.org/reference/articles/A2005_1.htm Boisevoice.org
- Media related to Boise, Portland, Oregon at Wikimedia Commons
- Boise Neighborhood Association official site
- Boise Eliot Neighborhood Guide (PortlandNeighborhood.com)
- Boise Voices Oral History Project (Boise neighborhood oral history project, local youth interview elders from the community)
- Boise Street Tree Inventory Report
|This Multnomah County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|