Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits
|Traded as||NASDAQ: BOJA|
|Headquarters||Charlotte, North Carolina|
Number of locations
|Clifton Rutledge (CEO)|
|Products||Fast food, including fried chicken, biscuits, french fries|
Bojangles' Inc. is a Southeastern regional chain of fast food restaurants, specializing in cajun seasoning, fried chicken, and buttermilk biscuits. The company was founded in Charlotte, North Carolina in 1977 by Jack Fulk and Richard Thomas.
Bojangles' opened its first location in Charlotte in 1977. The following year, the first franchised restaurant began operations.
During the time of Horn and Hardart's ownership the chain grew rapidly and expanded to 335 restaurants including 100 restaurants in Florida. Part of this growth was fueled by acquisitions including the Florida-based Biskits chain.
In 1990, Horn and Hardart sold most of its interest to Sienna Partners and Interwest Partners. The company was then headed by former KFC executive, Dick Campbell. In 1994 the company attempted a public offering. Dick Campbell was subsequently replaced by CEO Jim Peterson. The company was sold to a group of investors headed by former Wendy's executive Joe Drury and financed by FMAC in 1998.
Bojangles' grew throughout the 1990s and 2000s, with the 300th location opening in 2003. The restaurant started its first college campus location on the grounds of Central Piedmont Community College in 2005.
Bojangles' was purchased once again in 2007 by Falfurrias Capital Partners, a private equity firm. In August 2011, Falfurrias sold Bojangles' to Boston-based Advent International, another private equity firm, after a competitive bidding process with other investors.
The company has restaurants in 11 states and the District of Columbia. At various times Bojangles' has franchised restaurants in Grand Cayman Island, Jamaica, Mexico, Ireland, and China, Honduras.
- It's Bo Time Again in Greenwood As Bojangles' Opens Its Second Restaurant in the Area
- "Contact". Bojangles'. Retrieved on October 1, 2012. "Support Center 9432 Southern Pine Boulevard Charlotte, NC 28273-5553"
- McKibben, William (October 4, 1982). "Bojangles'". The Talk of the Town. The New Yorker. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "Chicken Franchise Spreads Its Wings". Greater Charlotte Biz. September 2005. Archived from the original on 2007-08-15.
- "Bojangles' Acquired". QSR Magazine. Sep 13, 2007.
- "Bojangles". Advent International. Archived from the original on 2014-01-25. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "History of our famous Chicken 'n Biscuits restaurants". Bojangles'. Retrieved June 29, 2017.
- Adams-Heard, Rachel. (2014, July 9). Bojangles' reaches a milestone: 600 stores. The Charlotte Observer: retrieved July 9, 2014.
- "Restaurant chain Bojangles' files for IPO" (Press release). Reuters. 7 April 2015.