|Elevation||234 m (768 ft)|
|• Official||Hindi, Santali|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Giridih|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Bermo|
Bokaro Thermal is a census town in Bermo block in Bermo subdivision of Bokaro district in the state of Jharkhand, India. Often colloquially referred to as 'BTPS', as the Bokaro Thermal Power Station is located in this area.
As per 2011 Census of India, Phusro Urban Agglomeration had a total population of 186,139, of which males were 97,665 and females 88,874. Phusro Urban Agglomeration is composed of Phusro (NP), Bermo (CT), Jaridih Bazar (CT), Bokaro (CT) and Kurpania (CT).
As of 2001[update] India census, Bokaro Thermal has a population of 36,419. Males constitute 54% of the population and females 46%. Bokaro Thermal has an average literacy rate of 67%. 14% of the population in this young town is under 6 years of age.
Bokaro Thermal has a many schools affiliated to the central and state education boards. The popular ones are Carmel School, St Paul's Modern School , Kendriya Vidyalaya and DVC+2 High School,& DVC M.E. School. There are schools which run under the aegis of the DVC management and some run by the Central government. However, the scope of quality education after schooling is limited due to the lack of good colleges. Carmel School is best known for its education and discipline.It is one of the few schools in Bokaro district which is affiliated to I.C.S.E.
There is only one college for graduation in Bokaro Thermal.
Bokaro Thermal Power Plant is the oldest thermal power plant in Asia run by Damodar Valley Corporation, India's first multipurpose river valley project. It was started in 1952 in collaboration with USA and West Germany by the then Prime Minister of the country Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.
It has two power plants:
- BTPS 'A' was started in 1952 and closed down on 17 July 2000 for violating pollution norms. A new efficient 500MW has been set by BHEL here which was commissioned in May 2016.
- BTPS 'B' has three power generating units producing a total of 630 MW (3×210). The first unit was commissioned in 1986.
In addition, a new 500 MW plant is under construction, which is likely to be commissioned in 2012-13. It is coming up at an estimated cost of Rs 4,000 crores.
Besides, the place is also rich in coal. The mining operations are carried out by Central Coalfields Limited. .
Bokaro Thermal railway station serves quite a few trains. There are three local trains daily on Gomoh-Barkakana section and vice versa.
|Major City||Distance (in km)|
|Bokaro Steel City||50|
Places of interest
- DVC Football Ground.
- DVC Centre Market.
- Raza Jama Maszid- Situated near Noori Nagar.
- Urdu Majlis - Situated near GM colony Church.
- Panch Mandir- Situated near railway station.
- Hanuman Mandir- Situated near police station
- Shiv Mandir- Situated near ash pond.
- Vir Kunwar Singh Park- Situated near central market.
- Govindpur hanuman Mandir near s.l.s
- Govindpur hari Bola Mandir (govindpur basti)
- Baijnath Dham Mandir (govindpur basti)
Small shops which cater to day-to-day needs of the people are scattered around the area. Bokaro Thermal Central Market is the main hub for most of these shops which generally sell grocery, clothes, stationary, electronics and other similar items. Weekly markets selling perishables like fish and vegetables are often seen on Sundays in and around the central market.
Beauty Parlour and Salon
There are a few good air conditioned salons catering to the needs of men in the central market of Bokaro Thermal. Apart from them, there are some decent non-air conditioned ones, extending in the regions of Hospital Mode, Station Road and Lal Chowk as well. In context to beauty parlour for females, there are several parlours in the region. Rosy Beauty Parlour, located at Janta Nagar Colony, is the oldest in the locality. The concept of Unisex Parlours i.e. a single parlour serving the beauty needs of both men and women under a single roof, is however, not seen in the region.
Swami Vivekananda Kridangan is the main hub of the sporting activities.This ground is known for Bokaro Thermal Cricket Premiere League T20.
Govindpur basti ground is the hub of sporting activities. Different sport event are organised every year. Late Prem Mahto memorial football tournament is organised every year. Mr. Jagarnath Mahto also known as 'Tiger' a famous politician of JMM has been invited as chief guest.
Most hospitals in the area only provide basic health care facilities. Prominent among these are DVC hospital, Bokaro Thermal and CCL Hospital, Govindpur (located near Bokaro Thermal).
- bokaro river Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Bokaro
- "2011 Census C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". Jharkhand – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "Provisional population totals, Census of India 2011" (PDF). Urban Agglomeration – Cities having population 1 lakh and above. Government of India. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "Provisional population totals, Census of India 2011" (PDF). Constituents of Urban Agglomerations haing population above 1 lakh and above, Census 2011. Government of India. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- BTPS 'B' "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-20. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- new plant http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/dvc/s-bokaro-power-plant-likely-to-be-commissioned-in-2012-13/127894/on