|Elevation||234 m (768 ft)|
|• Official||Hindi, Santali|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Bokaro Thermal is located at  It has an average elevation of 234 metres (767 feet). It is situated on the banks of the river Konar..
As of 2001[update] India census, Bokaro Thermal has a population of 36,419. Males constitute 54% of the population and females 46%. Bokaro Thermal has an average literacy rate of 67%. 14% of the population in this young town is under 6 years of age.
Bokaro Thermal has a many schools affiliated to the central and state education boards. The popular ones are Carmel School, Kendriya Vidyalaya, St Paul's School and DVC High School. There are schools which run under the aegis of the DVC management and some run by the Central government. However, the scope of quality education after schooling is limited due to the lack of good colleges.
There is only one college for graduation in Bokaro Thermal.
Bokaro Thermal Power Plant is the oldest thermal power plant in Asia run by Damodar Valley Corporation, India's first multipurpose river valley project. It was started in 1952 in collaboration with USA and West Germany by the then Prime Minister of the country Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.
It has two power plants:
- BTPS 'A' was started in 1952 and closed down on 17 July 2000 for violating pollution norms.
- BTPS 'B' has three power generating units producing a total of 630 MW (3×210). The first unit was commissioned in 1986.
In addition, a new 500 MW plant is under construction, which is likely to be commissioned in 2012-13. It is coming up at an estimated cost of Rs 4,000 crores.
Besides, the place is also rich in coal. The mining operations are carried out by Central Coalfields Limited. .
Bokaro Thermal railway station serves quite a few trains. There are three local trains daily on Gomoh-Barkakana section and vice versa.
|Major City||Distance (in km)|
|Bokaro Steel City||50|
Places of interest
- Raza Jama Maszid- Situated near Noori Nagar.
- Urdu Majlis - Situated near GM colony Church.
- Panch Mandir- Situated near railway station.
- Hanuman Mandir- Situated near police station
- Trayodas Mandir- Situated near civil office.
- Shiv Mandir- Situated near ash pond.
- Mahavir Mandir- Situated near railway station.
- Pahari Mandir- Situated near Central school.
- Vir Kunwar Singh Park- Situated near central market.
- Vihangam yoga Ashram - Situated near dvc +2 high school ground.
Small shops which cater to day to day needs of the people are scattered around the area. Bokaro Thermal Central Market is the main hub for most of these shops which generally sell grocery, clothes, stationary, electronics and other similar items. Weekly markets selling perishables like fish and vegetables are often seen on Sundays in and around the central market.
Beauty Parlors and Salon
There are a few good air conditioned salons catering to the needs of men in the central market of Bokaro Thermal. Apart from them, there are some decent non-air conditioned ones, extending in the regions of Hospital Mode, Station Road and Lal Chowk as well.
In context to beauty parlour for females, there are several parlours in the region. Their count goes as high as 20-25, including the ones located in NPCC Colony, Labour Quarter, Janta Nagar, GM Colony, Lahariya Tand, Bazar Tand, Noori Nagar, Raja Bazar and Phase II. Among them, Rosy Beauty Parlour, located at Janta Nagar Colony, is the oldest in the locality, catering to the beauty needs for over 2 decades. The institution is also actively engaged in providing training to women candidates for their economic empowerment by means of its training courses.
The concept of Unisex Parlours i.e. a single parlour serving the beauty needs of both men and women under a single roof, is however not seen in the region.
DVC football ground is the main hub of the sporting activities.
Most hospitals in the area only provide basic health care facilities. Prominent among these are DVC hospital, Bokaro Thermal and CCl Hospital, Govindpur (located near Bokaro Thermal).
- bokaro river Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Bokaro
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- BTPS 'B' http://www.dvcindia.org/Bokarob.htm
- new plant http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/dvc/s-bokaro-power-plant-likely-to-be-commissioned-in-2012-13/127894/on