|Industry||Payment service provider|
|Jon Prideaux (CEO)|
Adam Lee (CRO)
Keith Butcher (CFO)
Chris Newton-Smith (COO)
Boku, Inc. (LSE: BOKU) is a mobile payments company that allows businesses to collect online payments through both carrier billing and mobile wallets, and is headquartered in San Francisco, California. Boku utilizes mobile network operator (carrier) data to enhance the security and user experience for consumers online. Boku offers its customers more than 220 mobile payment types in over 70 countries globally, offering a bank-grade payment system.
In 2020, Boku processed over one billion billable transactions and processed over $7 billion in payments volume.
Boku was founded in 2009 by Mark Britto, Erich Ringewald and Ron Hirson using the combined assets of Mobillcash and Paymo. Boku raised a $13 million Series A investment from Khosla Ventures, Index Ventures and Benchmark.
In total, Boku has raised more than $91M in venture capital funding from Benchmark Capital, Index Ventures, Khosla Ventures, DAG Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, New Enterprise Associates, Telefónica, and GMO Payment Gateway.
In 2013, Boku announced the acquisition of Qubecell, India's largest aggregator in carrier billing to grow India as its engineering and technology hub.
In 2018, Boku acquired Danal to add mobile authentication services that secure consumer accounts and transactions
In 2020, Boku acquired Fortumo, the second largest carrier billing company and recorded revenues of $54.6 million.
Boku's payments customers include Apple Inc., Google, Sony, Microsoft, Facebook, Tencent, Spotify, Electronic Arts, DAZN and Riot Games amongst others. Payments partners include mobile operators Vodafone, Verizon, Jio, Deutsche Telekom, Telefónica, Saudi Telecom (STC), SK Telecom, and mobile wallet providers LINE Pay, KakaoPay, RabbitLinePay, GCash, GoPay, OVO, Dana, GrabPay.
Products and services
Boku provides businesses with the ability to accept mobile payments (direct carrier billing and mobile wallets) online from consumers. Boku also offers a subscription bundling product, named Trident, that enables subscription services to be offered to consumers through a mobile network operator. Consumers may receive the service for free during a trial period until they are billed by the mobile operator. Additionally, Boku offers mobile identity products that utilize mobile network operator data in order for consumers to verify their identity in order to complete transactions online.
Recognition and awards
In 2014, Boku won the "Best Alternative Payments" award at 2014 Payment Awards
In 2020, Boku won the "Future Digital Awards" for Best Mobile Money Offering and Fraud Detection and Prevention Innovation.
- Mobile commerce service provider
- E-commerce payment system
- List of online payment service providers
- Payment service provider
- "Boku, Digi to launch mobile identity services for fraud protection in Malaysia". thepaypers.com. Retrieved 2021-05-03.
- James Quintana Pearce (16 June 2009). "Boku Raises $13 Million To Buy Paymo And Mobillcash; Launches Mobile Payment Service". Gigaom. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Chapman, Lizette (2013-11-22). "Mobile-Payments Co. Boku Gets Indian Carriers With Qubecell Acquisition". Wall Street Journal (in American English). ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2021-05-03.
- Peter Kafka (19 January 2010). "Another Big Bet on Mobile Payments: Boku Raises $25 Million". All Things Digital. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Ingrid Lunden (15 March 2012). "Mobile Payment Startup BOKU Raises A $35M Round. NEA, Telefonica Among The Investors". Techcrunch. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Mannes, John. "Boku locks down another $13.75M to fund carrier connections for global expansion". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- Gedalyah Reback (September 2016). "Direct carrier payments get a boost as startup Boku scores $13.75 million funding round". Geektime. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Joshua Warner (20 November 2017). "DIRECT CARRIER BILLING FIRM BOKU JOINS AIM VALUED AT GBP125 MILLION (ALLIPO)". Alliance News Limited. Retrieved 12 February 2018.
- "GCash Now Works Anywhere Thanks To BOKU Partnership With Globe Telecom" (in American English). Retrieved 2021-05-03.
- Lizette Chapman (21 November 2013). "Mobile-Payments Co. Boku Gets Indian Carriers With Qubecell Acquisition". WSJ. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- "Boku launches direct carrier billing on Sony's PS4". www.telecompaper.com. Retrieved 2021-03-28.
- Ary Levy (October 2014). "No slowdown in payments as Boku buys mopay". CNBC. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- "Boku acquires Italian mobile payment provider". www.mobilepaymentstoday.com. 2015-08-13. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- Tech Team (18 August 2014). "Mobile Payment Startup Boku Acquires Mobileview Italia to Expand Carrier-Billing in Europe". The Fast Mode. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- "History & Development". Boku Inc. (in British English). Retrieved 2021-03-28.
- "Mobile payment co. Boku acquires Danal for up to $68M to add user authentication". TechCrunch (in American English). Retrieved 2021-02-23.
- "Mobile payments outfit Boku to buy Fortumo". Finextra Research. 2020-06-17. Retrieved 2021-02-23.
- Justin Llewellyn (11 April 2016). "Xsolla & Boku: Gateway to Drive Mobile Business". Xsolla Blog. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Boku Buys ID Authentication Co. Danal For $68M, PYMNTS.com; https://www.pymnts.com/news/partnerships-acquisitions/2018/mobile-payments-boku-danal-merger-stocks/
- Paul Sawers (26 February 2015). "Boku launches 'phone-on-file' carrier billing to replace credit cards with phone numbers". Venturebeat. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- press release (29 April 2016). "Spotify enlists Boku for carrier billing in Germany and Italy". Finextra. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Admin (25 March 2011). "Boku Wins the 2011 Mobility Award for Mobile Commerce". Boku Blog. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Brett Nelson, J.J. Colao and Max Mallet (30 November 2011). "Americas Most Promising Companies". Forbes. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Brett Nelson, J.J. Colao and Max Mallet (February 2013). "Americas Most Promising Companies". Forbes. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Scott Thompson (21 November 2014). "2014 Payments Awards: winners announced". Retail Systems. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- Inc, Boku (2020-10-01). "Juniper Research Recognizes Boku with two 'Future Digital Awards'". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2021-05-03.