This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Population||499 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
In medieval times, it was known as Bolton-in-Bowland, reflecting the shifting boundaries of the ancient Forest of Bowland on whose south-east flank the village sits. The manor of Bolton-by-Bowland, however, was not included within the Lordship of Bowland, being a part of the Percy family fee from earliest times.
The village is on the Tosside Beck, near its confluence with the River Ribble. The Beck has for many centuries marked the boundary between Bowland and Craven.
The village has a car park, toilet facilities and a tourist information centre, is the starting point for many of the area's walks. According to the 2001 census, it had a population of 498, rising marginally to 499 at the 2011 Census.
The village also has two pubs, the first, the Coach and Horses is situated in the middle of the village and is the centre of village life. The second, The Copy Nook, is a bar and restaurant and is situated a short distance from the centre of the village.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Bolton-by-Bowland Parish (1170215096)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 23 February 2018.
- Forest of Bowland official website
- Lancashire Parish Council headcounts Archived 10 December 2006 at the Wayback Machine.. URL accessed 5 May 2008.
- National Statistics - Bolton-by-Bowland CP (Parish). URL accessed 5 May 2008.
- "Bowland, Newton and Slaidburn". MARIO. Lancashire County Council. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Bowland, Newton and Slaidburn". Ordnance Survey Linked Data Platform. Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bolton-by-Bowland.|
- Virtual Tour of St Peter & St Paul's Church, Bolton-by-Bowland
- Bolton by Bowland Conservation Area Appraisal
- New Ing Meadow SSSI
|This Lancashire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|