Bolton South East (UK Parliament constituency)
|Bolton South East|
for the House of Commons
|Population||101,747 (2011 census)|
|Electorate||69,088 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Bolton, Farnworth, Kearsley, Moses Gate|
|Member of Parliament||Yasmin Qureshi (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Bolton East|
This area has elected Labour candidates to be MP since its creation in 1983, with majorities of more than 15% so to date it has been a safe seat. Unlike the other two Bolton seats, it has remained safely Labour. This is reflected too by the majority of wards returning councillors for Labour; a notably stronger ward for the Conservative Party to date has been Hulton, which has often returned Conservative councillors.
1983–2010: The Metropolitan Borough of Bolton wards of Burnden, Daubhill, Derby, Farnworth, Harper Green, Kearsley, and Little Lever.
2010–present: The Metropolitan Borough of Bolton wards of Farnworth, Great Lever, Harper Green, Hulton, Kearsley, Little Lever and Darcy Lever, and Rumworth.
Following a boundary reorganization in the early 1980s, parts of the former constituencies of Bolton East and Farnworth were combined to create this constituency with effect from the 1983 general election.
Members of Parliament
|1997||Dr Brian Iddon||Labour|
Elections in the 2010s
|Brexit Party||Mark Cunningham||2,968||7.3||New|
|Liberal Democrats||Kev Walsh||1,411||3.5||+1.7|
|Liberal Democrats||Frank Harasiwka||781||1.8||―0.8|
|Liberal Democrats||Darren Reynolds||1,072||2.6||―13.3|
|Liberal Democrats||Donal O'Hanlon||6,289||15.9||―2.2|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Frank Harasiwka||6,047||19.0||+7.5|
|Liberal Democrats||Frank Harasiwka||3,941||11.5||+2.7|
|Socialist Labour||John Kelly||826||2.4||New|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||Frank Harasiwka||3,805||8.8||―1.8|
|Natural Law||Lewis Walch||170||0.4||―0.2|
|Liberal Democrats||Dennis Lee||5,243||10.6||―3.9|
|Independent Labour||William Hardman||2,894||5.8||New|
|Natural Law||Lewis Walch||290||0.6||New|
Elections in the 1980s
|Labour win (new seat)|
- "Bolton South East: Usual Resident Population, 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 31 January 2015.
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "'Bolton South East', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Bolton MB Council Election Results". Archived from the original on 23 September 2012. Retrieved 24 December 2012.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 4)
- Sansome, Jessica; Otter, Saffron (14 November 2019). "All the Greater Manchester General Election 2019 candidates". men. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Bolton South East parliamentary constituency". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Bolton South East". BBC News. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Statement of Persons Nominated Archived 2 July 2010 at the Wayback Machine Bolton Council
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- General Election Results 1997 and 2001: Bolton South East Archived 3 June 2012 at the Wayback Machine. Political Science Resources. Retrieved 13 May 2010.
- General Election 1997: Bolton South East. BBC. Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "UK General Election results April 1992". Richard Kimber's Political Science Resources. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Archived from the original on 11 August 2011. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- William Hardman. Links in a Chain. Retrieved 14 May 2010.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- General Election 11 June 1987: Bolton South East Archived 11 August 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Political Science Resources. Retrieved 13 May 2010.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- General Election 9 June 1983: Bolton South East Archived 28 June 2017 at the Wayback Machine. Political Science Resources. Retrieved 13 May 2010.
- John Walsh. Links in a Chain. Retrieved 14 May 2010.
- Margaret Patricia Rothwell. Links in a Chain. Retrieved 14 May 2010.
- nomis Constituency Profile for Bolton South East — presenting data from the ONS annual population survey and other official statistics.