The Bonerate people are an ethnic group in South Sulawesi, Indonesia. They inhabit around the Selayar island group such as Bonerate, Madu, Kalaotoa, and Karompa islands. Sexually provocative behaviour occurs in possession-trance ritual practiced by women only and were carried out in a way by which they smother glowing embers with their bare feet at the climax of the ritual. The Bonerate language shares many similarities with the Butonese language.
- ^ "Bonerate in Indonesia". Joshua Project. Retrieved 2014-10-08.
- ^ "Bonerate". Ethnologue. Retrieved 2014-10-08.
- ^ Jeannette Mageo & Alan Howard (2012). Spirits in Culture, History and Mind. Routledge. ISBN 1-1367-5852-6.
- ^ "Crazy Women are Performing in Sombali": A Possession-Trance Ritual on Bonerate, Indonesia Author(s): Harald Beyer BrochSource: Ethos, Vol. 13, No. 3 (Autumn, 1985), pp. 262-282
- ^ Timothy J. O'Leary (1991). Encyclopedia of World Cultures: North America, Volume 1. Hall. ISBN 9780816888405.