Bongaigaon Refinery and Petrochemicals
||This article needs attention from an expert on the subject. The specific problem is: branches/acronyms - see Talk. (September 2013)|
|Industry||Oil and gas|
|Founded||February 20, 1974 (Commissioned 1979)|
|Headquarters||Bongaigaon, Assam, India|
Number of employees
|1755 (March 31, 2005)|
The company began with initial funds of Rs. 50 crore (Rs. 500 million), which was increased to Rs. 200 crore by December 1983. The total paid capital of the company was Rs. 199.82 crore as of 31 March 2005.
The Government of India held the entire paid-up capital of the Company until 1990-91, but sold 25.54% of its shareholding to the public during 1991-92 to 1993-94. The remaining equity of 74.46% was divested in favor of the Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. on 29 March 2001. As a result, BRPL became a subsidiary company of the Indian Oil Corporation Ltd., a Government owned corporation.
The Company has its registered office and production facilities at Dhaligaon in Chirang district inside of Bongaigaon Urban Area of Assam in North-East India. The company has marketing and regional offices in Guwahati, Bhopal, Kolkata, Indore, Mumbai and Delhi.
BRPL has branches in the following locations in India:
- Bina Refinery, Bina - A subsidiary of Agasod Refinary and Petrochemicals Limited, Bina (M.P) and BRPL, Assam.
- Gujarat Refinery, Vadodara
- Tamil Petrochemicals, Kanyakumari
- Himalaya Ethylene Refinery, Kalka
- Bombay National Refinery, West Mumbai
- Malwa Petrochemicals Refinery, North Indore
- Deccan Petrochemicals, Pune
- Junargarh Petro Refinery, Junargarh
- Indreshwar Refinery and Petrochemicals, Indore
- Western Petrochemicals Limited, Indore
- Patna Refinery, Patna
- Chhattisgarh State Refinery, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
- Bongaigaon Refinery and Petrochemicals Limited, BRPL, Assam
- Eastern Refinery, Tripura
BRPL focuses mainly on petroleum refining and production of value added petrochemicals and polyester staple fiber (PSF) products. The production facilities of the company consist of a refinery with a crude processing capacity of 2.35 million tons per year. The company has a petrochemicals complex composed of a Xylene plant, dimethyle terephthalate (DMT) plant and a PSF plant. While commercial production of the refinery started in 1978 the other plants were commissioned in stages, the last being the PSF plant in 1988. The refinery presently processes crude oil produced in the Assam oil fields, as well as Ravva oil fields in Andhra Coast. The most important raw material for the Petrochemical units is Naptha, which is supplied from the refinery itself.
The major products from the refinery are LPG, MS, Naptha, ATF, SKO, HSD, LDO, LSHS, LVFO, RPC, CPC, DMT, and PSF, which are the most important products of the Petrochemicals sector. While the petroleum products (except RPC & CPC) are marketed by the Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.'s Marketing Division, the Petrochemical products RPC and CPC are marketed by BRPL through its own marketing network.
As of March 31, 2005, the Company had 1,755 employees.
REFINERY : Initial capacity of 1.00 MMTPA - commissioned in 1979
Debottlenecked to 1.35 MMTPA in 1987 Expanded to 2.35 MMTPA in 1995
PETROCHEMICALS: 29,000 MTPA Para-Xylene plant commissioned in 1985
45,000 MTPA DMT Plant commissioned in 1985 30,000 MTPA PSF plant commissioned in 1988
MARKETING : Petrochemical products by BRPL through its countrywide network; Refinery
products by Indian Oil through a marketing agreement.
BRPL had a turnover of Rs. 3204 crore during 2003–04, and Rs. 4992 crore during 2004–05. The company showed a Net Profit of Rs. 304 crore during 2003–04 and Rs. 478 crore during 2004–05. Dividend = Rs. 173.5 crore (2003–04) = Rs. 272.5 crore (2004–05). Contribution to Exchequer (Cumulative up to 2004-05) = Rs. 3751.8 crore
BRPL has received the following awards:
- GreenTech Silver Safety award (2004) .
- Second Prize in the area of 'FURNACE & BOILER EFFICIENCY' based on the 'JOINT OIL CONSERVATION SURVEY - 2004' conducted by CHT during OGCF, 2004.
- GreenTech Environment Excellence Gold Award for 2004-05 on 22 October 2005.
- National Safety Award for longest accident free period on 7 September 2005.
- First prize in the Jawaharlal Nehry Centenary Award for Energy Performance of Refineries for the year 2004-05 on 14 November 2005.
- Third prize for minimum steam leak amongst all refineries in the country in the Oil & Gas Conservation Fortnight Award for 2005. Received on 14 November 2005.